NEW YORK, Sept. 30, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Twenty-four tech companies will be announced today as finalists for the UK government's third annual GREAT Tech Awards. Danny Lopez, British Consul General to New York, announced the names at a reception at the British Residence in Manhattan today.
Representing the states of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, these finalists are innovative companies in the US tech scene that aim to build an international presence, and are in the running to win a business development trip to the UK. The overall winners will be announced at the GREAT Tech Awards Gala on Thursday, 29 October 2015, in New York, and will fly to the UK during the week of 29 November 2015.
"The British government is focused on helping the best and brightest American tech companies to expand internationally, and the GREAT Tech Awards are a shining example of this commitment," said Lopez. "Today's finalists were selected from a field of over 145 dynamic firms across the Northeast US. With the UK as the top investment destination in Europe, it is an ideal platform for global growth, and I look forward to seeing these companies grow in the months and years to come."
This summer, technology companies headquartered in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and all six New England states were eligible to apply for one of seven award categories. The category finalists are: for Best of USA, ShopKeep, LiveIntent, and Noom Inc.; for CleanTech, Altaeros Energies, H2Sonics LLC, and Heads Up Display Inc.; EdTech, Elemental Path Inc., LightSail Education, and Tinybop Inc.; for FinTech, AlphaPoint, Hedgeable, and WorkFusion; for health, EpiBone, Inc., Behavorial Technology Group, and Celmatix; for Lifestyle, Baron Fig, iDevices, and x.ai; and for Media, Bounce Exchange, Elite Daily, and MAZ. An eighth category, Best of British, also has three finalists: Equivital, TransferWise, and Unruly.
An advisory board of industry influencers has chosen the finalists based on their potential for overseas growth and the innovation of their product or service. A separate judging panel will select the winners. Additionally, the Best of British Award will recognize the transatlantic growth of a British technology company that has successfully established an office in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, or the New England area.
The US winners will receive a customized package that includes: a roundtrip flight to London provided by British Airways; five nights accommodation at Corinthia Hotel London; accountancy services from BDO, legal services from Fieldfisher, recruitment services from Propel Executive, real estate services from Knight Frank; business development services from sector specialists including Advice Cloud, Device Access UK, Durham Lane, Gateway Europe, International Management Answers, and MedTech Logistics; meetings with mentors and government officials; and attendance at the unBound Digital conference in London.
The award winners will be selected by a prestigious panel of judges including: Pete Cashmore, CEO & Founder of Mashable; Glenda Bailey OBE, Editor-in-Chief of Harper's Bazaar and GREAT ambassador; Ignacio Isa Martin, Sales Director at British Airways North America; Michael Hayman, Co-founder of Seven Hills; Marco Mohwinckel, Global Head of Integrated Care Solutions at Janssen Healthcare Innovation; Gareth Jones, Co-founder and General Partner at FinTech Collective; Anant Agarwal, CEO of edX; and Thomas R. Burton III, Chair of the Energy Technology Practice at Mintz Levin.
To learn more about the GREAT Tech Awards, visit www.greattechawards.com
- The GREAT Britain campaign showcases the very best of what the UK has to offer and encourages people to visit, do business, invest and study in the UK. It unites the efforts of the public and private sector to generate jobs and growth for Britain.
- For more updates on The GREAT Tech Awards, follow us on Twitter @UKTIUSA and #GREATtech.
- British Airways, part of International Airlines Group, is one of the world's leading global premium airlines and the largest international carrier in the UK. The carrier has its home base at London Heathrow, the world's busiest international airport, and flies to more than 70 different countries.
- Corinthia Hotel London is a 21st century grand hotel located in the heart of London, created by experts with a passion for craftsmanship and an understanding of world-class service. Housed within a Victorian building, 294 rooms including 36 suites and 7 penthouses offer sweeping views across London's most popular landmarks.
- Today's Merck is a global healthcare leader working to help the world be well. Merck is known as MSD outside the United States and Canada. Through our prescription medicines, vaccines, biologic therapies, and consumer care and animal health products, we work with customers and operate in more than 140 countries to deliver innovative health solutions.
- BDO is a leading global network of accounting, tax and advisory firm, one that provides a full range of professional services worldwide. Whether you're a private client, an owner managed business or an ambitious listed company, BDO has the right people and the right experience to deliver tangible value.
- Fieldfisher is an international law firm of almost 450 lawyers working with giant UK, US and global companies. The firm's skills in major corporate M and A, capital markets and VC deals are equaled by their knowledge and expertise in their top ranked Technology Transactions and EU Data Protection and Privacy practice.
- Propel Executive provides executive recruitment services for the global digital economy, finding and supplying talent for agencies, corporates and technology businesses. Propel helps companies secure business critical talent and build digital teams from the top down.
- The four ingredients which set Knight Frank apart are their independence, their global network, and their commercial and residential platforms. Through their US alliance with Newmark Grubb Knight Frank, they have grown to a group of over 12,000 property professionals, in more than 370 offices in 55 countries.
SOURCE British Consulate General