NEW YORK, Nov. 23, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Fact.MR – A Market Research and Competitive Intelligence Provider: According to Fact.MR, the global barge transportation market is expected to reach a valuation of US$ 123.29 Bn in 2021. With growing popularity of oil and gas trade, the market is projected to expand at a CAGR of 4.5% between 2021 and 2031, surpassing US$ 191.45 Bn by 2031.
Sales are expected to burgeon in response to the extensive use of barges for the transportation of passengers and heavy goods. Barge transportation has emerged as an economical and environment friendly means of transporting bulk commodities such as petroleum, metal ores and coal.
Rising waterborne trade across the globe is primarily driving the barge transportation market. According to the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), over 80% of the volume of international trade in goods is carried by sea. Moreover, maritime trade volume reached a total of around 11.08 Bn tons in 2019, according to UNCTAD.
Governments across the globe are investing heavily in developing new waterways, ports, and water transportation vehicles. Moreover, rising environmental concerns is prompting government and barge manufacturers to introduce more ecofriendly solutions.
For instance, in November 2021, Indian politician and Minister for Road Transport (Kerala), announced that the government will launch solar passenger boats and barges for cargo transport to exploit the possibilities of National Waterway along the state.
Hence, a slew of such developments and introduction of new ecofriendly barges will create lucrative growth opportunities for the market.
For More Valuable Information on Market Dynamics, Request a Report Sample
Further, with increasing demand for crude oil and petroleum products, tank barges are gaining immense popularity among end-users. They are being increasingly employed for the transportation of petrochemical products. This is expected to provide impetus to barge transportation market during the forecast period.
As per Fact.MR, dry bulk cargo barge transportation segment will account for the largest revenue share of 55% in 2021. Growth is attributable to the increasing demand for products such as coal grains, ores, and other construction materials.
Regionally, North America is expected to dominate the barge transportation market as a result of well-established network of waterways, presence of leading players, rising barge transportation of dry cargo on inland waterways, and increasing investments by government for developing & modernizing ports.
"Amidst growing waterborne trade worldwide, key barge transportation service providers are engaged in offering distinct types of facilities such as warehouses, infrastructure and intermodal shipment. This will help them to penetrate the market swiftly over the forecast period," says a Fact.MR analyst
Key Takeaways from Barge Transportation Market Survey
- With rising seaborne trade and increasing adoption of barges, demand in the U.S is likely to surge at a CAGR of 5.3% over the forecast period.
- India is projected to emerge as one of the most lucrative markets for barge transportation, expanding at 5% CAGR between 2021 and 2031.
- China is poised to exhibit strong growth on the back of increasing maritime trade and favorable government policies.
- Based on barge type, dry bulk cargo barge transportation segment accounts for around over half of global revenue.
- In terms of vessel type, tank barges are projected to account for 30% of global revenue.
- Increasing investments by governments across the world to facilitate seaborn trade is driving the barge transportation market.
- Growing use of inland waterways for agricultural products, chemicals and food transportation will accelerate the growth in the market.
- Surging demand for fuels such as oil, coal and petroleum will continue to boost the growth of barge transportation market.
- Availability of large capacity barges coupled with emergence of advanced technologies for faster navigation is positively impacting the market.
- High cost associated with barge transportation including maintenance, repair, replacement and fuel is restraining the growth of the market.
- Implementation of stringent regulations pertaining to marine transportation and rise in transport of foods through railways will also limit the market growth.
To learn more about Barge Transportation Market, you can get in touch with our Analyst at
Leading players operating in the barge transportation market are focusing on introducing new product lines for different electric and hybrid electric vehicles. Besides this, they are adopting various strategies such as mergers, acquisitions, partnerships, and collaborations to dominate the market.
- In August 2021, SEACOR Holdings Inc. Completed the acquisition of U.S. Shipping Corp, a privately owned, leading provider of long-haul marine transportation for chemical and petroleum cargoes. The acquisition will help the company to expand its maritime transportation business.
- In March 2021, Crowley achieved a significant milestone in its 55,000-barrel articulated tug-barge (ATB) new-build project with the launch and christening at Greenbrier Marine of Qamun, a double-hulled petroleum barge specifically designed for the Alaska fuels market.
- In November 2020, Ingram Barge Company LLC announced that its wholly owned subsidiary, Houston Fleeting Services LLC, has entered into an agreement to acquire the business assets of Houston-based Cheryl K LLC and San Jacinto River Fleet LLC. The acquisition is aimed to strengthen Ingram Barge's position in the inland marine industry by expanding reach and capabilities to the Houston area and along the Texas Gulf Coast, the company said in the announcement.
- In August 2020, four new 90-meter oil/deck cargo barges for Canada's Government of the Northwest Territories (GNWT) Marine Transportation Services (MTS) were launched by Nanjing Jinling Shipyard, in Nanjing, China.
Some of the prominent players operating in the barge transportation market profiled by Fact.MR are:
- American Commercial Barge Line LLC.
- INGRAM Marine Group
- Kirby Corporation
- SEACOR Holdings Inc.
- Campbell Transport Company
- Heartland Barge
- Bouchard Transportation
- Canal Barge
- Magnolia Marine Transport
- Marquette Transportation
More Insights on the Global Barge Transportation Sales Outlook
Fact.MR provides an unbiased analysis of barge transportation market, presenting historical demand data (2016-2020) and forecast statistics for the period from 2021-2031. The study divulges compelling insights on the global demand for barge transportation with a detailed segmentation on the basis of:
- Dry Bulk Cargo Barge
- Liquid Cargo Barge
- Car-Float Barge
- Power Barge
- Construction Barge
- Open Barge
- Covered Barge
- Tank Barge
- Towed Barge
- Self-Propelled Barge
Key Questions Covered in the Barge Transportation Market Outlook Report
- The report offers insight into barge transportation demand outlook for 2021-2031
- The market study also highlights projected sales growth for barge transportation market between 2021 and 2031
- Barge transportation market survey identifies key growth drivers, restraints, and other forces impacting prevailing trends and evaluation of current market size and forecast and technological advancements within the industry
- Barge transportation market share analysis of the key companies within the industry and coverage of strategies such as mergers & acquisitions, joint ventures, collaborations or partnerships, and others
Explore Fact.MR's Coverage on the Automotive Domain –
Work Barges Market- With increased investments in the development of minor ports and canal networks around the world, the market for work barges has exploded in recent years. The market for work barges is expected to develop due to the increasing adoption of intermodal transportation services across various sectors. Manufacturers are concentrating on updating old products, which might boost the profitability of the work barge industry. The expansion of the work barges market is directly influenced by the increasing prevalence of a broad network of barges for carrying bulk materials across countries.
Platform Supply Vessel Market- Offshore oil and gas exploration, as well as logistical needs from offshore facilities, drive the platform supply vessel market. The majority of platform supply vessels are currently deployed in shallow water logistical operations, despite the fact that they are designed to work in deep water. Oil and gas exploration companies have been compelled to move beyond onshore and shallow water facilities to deep and ultra-deep water exploration as global energy demand has increased. In addition, the growing number of offshore exploration and production activities throughout the world is driving up demand for platform supply vessels.
Ship/boat Keel Market- Tourism growth and vessel replacements are two major demand drivers for ship/boat keels. Excess capacity and supply of shipyards and boats are another structural aspect of the marine sector. In addition, in the coming years, port infrastructure developments and a diverse variety of projects are expected to boost demand for ship/boat keels. As a result, the strong demand for ship/boat keels in the region has been mirrored. Although there has been a recent reduction in the growth ratio of trade to gross domestic product (GDP), the link between economic output and cruise tourism appears to be altering.
Fact.MR is a market research and consulting agency with deep expertise in emerging market intelligence. Spanning a wide range – from automotive & industry 4.0 to healthcare, technology to even the most niche categories. 80% of Fortune 1000's trust us in critical decision making.
MarketNgage is powered by Fact.MR – our Unified Intelligence Engine, a revolutionary Market Research Subscription platform with a flexible pricing to suit your needs.
You can access all our automotive research reports by signing up with MarketNgage's Market Research Subscription with FREE credits. MarketNgage is powered by Fact.MR – A Fully integrated research solution for seamless single-window access Widest coverage on emerging markets, nascent products, and disruptive technologies.
US Sales Office
11140 Rockville Pike
Rockville, MD 20852
Tel: +1 (628) 251-1583
E: [email protected]