DENVER, Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- BusinessBolts.com published an online SEO tutorial estimating that 15.5% of a web page's rankings are determined by its page level optimization. Page level optimization includes factors like the title tag, meta tags, keyword density, and loading times of the web page.
The free tutorial looks at the ranking factors used by search engine algorithms. Google uses over 200 ranking factors in their algorithm. BusinessBolts.com broke down the biggest factors dealing with on-site optimization into 4 segments including: URL optimization, page optimization, content quality, and web site optimization.
An analysis was done where dozens of potential ranking factors were looked at and assigned a signal strength by an SEO professional. The signal strength indicators used were low, medium, and high. A high signal strength meant that most of the pages ranking on page one of Google for that keyword include that specific component. A low signal strength meant the factor is considered in search engine algorithms, but probably only at a low level.
For example, the title tag of a web page was given a high signal strength while having the keyword in the meta tag was given a low signal strength.
Numbers were assigned for each factor based on the signal strength it was assigned. The breakdown for on-site optimization factors includes the following:
- URL optimization - 4%
- Page optimization - 15.5%
- Content quality - 11%
- Site optimization - 13.5%
According to Lisa Parmley, the Founder of Business Bolts Media, having a breakdown like this is useful because "many small businesses are short on time. They want to know what to focus on in order to see the fastest results. When it comes to on-site optimization, it's all the little factors that add up, but we've boiled down the hundreds of potential factors into a few dozen. Even that will help expedite the SEO process for many business owners trying to get their web pages ranking higher."
Overall the tutorial assigns 44% of the algorithm to on-site factors with the remaining 56% assigned to off-site factors including back links, brand mentions, and social shares.
The SEO tutorial is available for free. It covers why SEO is worthwhile, keyword research tools and tips, a detailed breakdown of web page optimization factors, and a guide to link building (specifically focusing on links that will last for the long-term). You can find out more here:
BusinessBolts.com launched in July 2012 and continues to grow its library of helpful content and resources. Lisa Parmley has been a business owner since 2001. She started BusinessBolts.com as a way to share her knowledge and experience with an audience of entrepreneurs and small business owners. The vision of BusinessBolts.com is one of service and success.
Read more news from BusinessBolts.com.