DALLAS, March 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) expands its DaVinci™ digital media processor platform by introducing its high-performance TMS320DM8168 DaVinci digital media processor and the software compatible, power-efficient TMS320DM8148 DaVinci digital media processor. With these industry-leading video processors, TI is helping provide life-like video communications to bring people together, increase public safety, enable real-time automotive vision systems to support safer driving, deliver the highest-quality entertainment to consumers and more.
- The high-performance DM8168 DaVinci digital media processor offers three times the video streaming capability over competing solutions with up to three simultaneous 1080p60 frames per second (fps) video streams, 12 simultaneous 720p30 fps video streams or a combination of lower resolution streams. This enables customers to build video-centric systems that capture, encode, decode and analyze multiple video streams simultaneously on up to three independent displays. It also concurrently allows customers to differentiate their products with advanced analytics capabilities. It is ideal for multi-channel HD video surveillance systems, video conferencing systems, media hubs and servers and video broadcasting systems.
- The lower-power DM8148 DaVinci digital media processor offers a single, high-performance, 1080p60 fps video stream, three simultaneous 720p30 fps video streams or multiple lower resolution streams at 3 watts. It also includes cutting-edge display and analytics capabilities, similar to the DM8168 DaVinci digital media processor, and it's perfect for power-sensitive, consumer and medical video applications requiring fewer video streams. These applications include Skype™ video cameras, interactive digital signage, video surveillance DVRs or IP net cams, streaming media players and network projectors.
Easy product migration options between the DM8168 digital media processor to the power-efficient, software compatible DM8148 digital media processor allow customers to create multiple, unique products quickly and easily within the DaVinci digital media platform, utilizing TI's EZ software development kit (SDK), allowing software code reuse and customization via a single software investment. Customers can also use the same EZ SDK from TI for applications not needing video processing to migrate to the pin-for-pin compatible Sitara™ ARM® MPU or the C6-Integra™ DSP + ARM platforms to further leverage a single hardware and software investment.
"The world wants HD video on every device imaginable, and we are prepared to provide it to them," said Niels Anderskouv, vice president, Digital Signal Processing Systems, TI. "In the future, Facebook will no longer be the primary means of connecting with people virtually. TI is an integral part of the technology innovations that will further bring people together – with real-time video conferencing today and 3D video and gesturing technologies tomorrow."
"Quality, life-like video experiences are revolutionizing communications, enriching the entertainment experience and changing the view of video as a productivity tool," said Jim McGregor, chief technology strategist at In-Stat. "The advancements TI is making in video will enable many of the applications we will come to expect on all devices in the future, such as 3D, augmented reality and mind-blowing gaming. Because video processing is becoming a key differentiator for both system-on-chips and discrete solutions, TI is developing its own proprietary video technology, which will help distinguish TI from competing solutions."
DM8168 and DM8164 DaVinci digital media processors offer:
Extreme integration on a single chip: video accelerators, ARM Cortex™-A8, TMS320C674x DSP, 3D graphics accelerator, display controllers and peripherals (PCIexpress Gen 2, SATA 2.0, Gigabit Ethernet, HDMI, Gigabit Ethernet Switch, CAN, DDR2/DDR3 and more)
Up to three HD video accelerators responsible for all capture, encode, decode and analysis of multiple video streams:
Enables customers to scale the video resolution and performance to the needs of their application, thereby providing the right balance of power and performance while also allowing end product customization
Up to 1.2 GHz ARM Cortex-A8
Provides a high-performance ARM to allow customers to customize their products with applications, rich GUI interfaces and multiple operating systems support
Up to 1.0 GHz C674x DSP offers programmability to adapt to evolving standards and allow customers to innovate with math computation, signal processing and floating- point for extended precision and dynamic range
Allows product differentiation with analytics, complex algorithms, audio and flexibility for new codec standards
Supports up to two high-quality displays at up to 1920 x 1280 resolution with an SGX530 graphics accelerator
Enables 3D graphics for more complex GUIs with a seamless graphical multi-screen experience while encoding and decoding H.264 video streams (extended multi-format support available)
Order samples and an evaluation module today
The high-performance DM8168 DaVinci digital media processors are sampling today. Production pricing starts $75 per 1ku for DM8168 DaVinci digital media processors. The power-efficient DM8148 DaVinci digital media processors will begin sampling in 3Q2011, and production pricing starts at $51 per 1ku. Begin development on the TMDXEVM8168 today for $1,995. Download TI's EZ SDK from ti.com and benefit from Linux operating system support today, Android support available in 2Q2011, followed by Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7 support in 3Q2011.
Simplify signal chain selection
Designers using the DM8168 and DM8164 digital media processors can simplify product selection by taking advantage of TI's high-performance signal chain solutions:
- 6-channel THS7360 and THS7368 video amplifiers with SD/ED/HD/full-HD filters
- TLV320AIC3107 stereo codec with 1-W class-D speaker amplifier
- CDCE925 2-PLL VCXO clock synthesizer with frequency switching and adjustment capabilities
Visit TI at Embedded World
Visit TI at Hall 12, Stand #436 at Embedded World in Nuremburg, Germany March 1-3, 2011. Stop by and view the DM8168 and DM8148 DaVinci digital media processor demonstrations and get more information.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
C6-Integra, Sitara and DaVinci are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments