CARLSBAD, Calif., Jan. 4, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Enlisted Military Soldier earned the top spot as the nation's most stressful job, while Medical Records Technicians ranked as the least stressful, according to the 2012 CareerCast.com Job Stress Report, an annual survey of 200 different professions that measures work environment, job competitiveness, risk and related factors.
The five most stressful jobs all involve peril and significant hazards. They include Firefighters, who often come in contact with poisonous gases and hazardous materials; Airline Pilots, who face potential terrorism and hazardous weather; Military Generals, who are responsible for the lives of their troops in battle; and Police Officers, who enforce laws and are tasked with catching criminals.
If a relaxed work environment is your goal, the five least stressful professions of 2012 are Medical Records Technicians, Jewelers, Hair Stylists, Dressmakers/Tailors and Medical Laboratory Technicians.
"If avoiding workplace stress is your primary goal, there are many attractive options," says Tony Lee, Publisher, CareerCast.com. "In fact, the most stressful job of 2012 pays about the same as the least stressful job, and the low-stress jobs are all indoors in comfortable environments. The high-stress jobs don't share that benefit."
CareerCast.com's 10 Most Stressful Jobs
- Enlisted Military Soldier - Average Income $35,580
- Firefighter - Average Income $45,250
- Airline Pilot - Average Income $103,210
- Military General - Average Income $196,300
- Police Officer - Average Income $53,540
- Event Coordinator - Average Income $45,260
- Public Relations Executive - Average Income $91,810
- Corporate Executive (Senior) - Average Income $165,830
- Photojournalist - Average Income $40,000
- Taxi Driver - Average Income $22,440
CareerCast.com's 10 Least Stressful Jobs
- Medical Records Technician - Average Income $32,350
- Jeweler - Average Income $35,170
- Hair Stylist - Average Income $22,760
- Dressmaker/Tailor - Average Income $26,560
- Medical Laboratory Technician - Average Income $36,280
- Audiologist - Average Income $66,660
- Precision Assembler - Average Income $31,250
- Dietitian - Average Income $53,250
- Furniture Upholsterer - Average Income $29,960
- Electrical Technician - Average Income $56,040