CARLSBAD, Calif. and AMSTERDAM, Sept. 21, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- From elementary school on, we were told to aim high in our careers and strive for such prestigious jobs as doctor, lawyer, pilot and even President. In CareerCast.com's new report on the most underrated jobs, the excitement those jobs promise typically sounds a lot better than the reality. According to CareerCast.com, the jobs held by our parents, neighbors and siblings, which seemed like "normal" jobs, may actually provide many more rewards than we ever imagined.
"While terms like flashy, glitzy, glamorous and prestigious aren't typically associated with our list of underrated jobs, these careers have some great advantages that are often overlooked," says Tony Lee, publisher, CareerCast.com. "They're professions that don't woo people with the high salaries or notoriety, but instead have characteristics that make them especially worthy."
CareerCast.com's most underrated jobs typically have median-to-higher income levels, lower stress, lower environmental dangers and lower physical demands. And even in this tight economy, all share one great attribute: a lower than average unemployment rate.
"I have the best of both worlds. I get to do the work that I want, but I don't have the high demands that a lawyer does," says Jennifer Dahms, a paralegal at a Milwaukee law firm, the career that took top honors in the CareerCast.com ranking.
While the paparazzi may not be knocking down their doors, the following jobs are worth a look if you're considering changing careers. They also apply if you're a recent graduate looking for a career that will reward you for years to come.
CareerCast.com's Most Underrated Jobs:
- Paralegal/Legal Assistant, average income $47,153.00
- Accountant, average income $60,174.00
- Loan Officer, average income $55,239.00
- Market Research Analyst, average income $62,229.00
- Software Engineer, average income $87,140.00
- Computer Systems Analyst, average income $77,153.00
- Insurance Agent, average income $46,342.00
- Dietician, average income $52,127.00
- Dental Hygienist, average income $67,107.00
- Civil Engineer, average income $76,139.00
- Physical Therapist, average income $74,104.00
- Chiropractor, average income $68,358.00
CareerCast.com editors reviewed our in-depth Jobs Rated data to identify the most underrated jobs based on a range of criteria, including income, stress, danger, physical demands, and outlook. To read the full report, visit www.CareerCast.com.