WICHITA, Kan., Dec. 16, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Ringing in the holiday spirit, Cargill Turkey Brands continue the year-end quest to help feed Americans who live without consistent access to food. Cargill has set its sights high to help provide 1.75 million meals to Americans facing hunger with a $250,000 donation to Feeding America®, the nation's largest domestic hunger relief organization. In the home stretch toward the New Year, Cargill asks others to join in by volunteering, donating or spreading the word about things other families can do to contribute.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/cargill/47718/
VIDEO: CARGILL AND FEEDING AMERICA® – THE ONE TURKEY THAT CAN FEED A MILLION PEOPLE
How many people can one turkey help feed? More than a million Americans in need will be fed this holiday season as a result of Cargill's donation to Feeding America. Cargill's Honeysuckle White® and Shady Brook Farms® turkey brands have paired up with Feeding America® for the second consecutive year to help provide 1.75 million meals to Americans facing hunger. View this quick and catchy video illustrating the efforts behind THE ONE TURKEY THAT CAN FEED A MILLION PEOPLE™ and how people can get involved.
SPREADING THE WORD: Working to share her new partnership with Cargill Turkey Brands and her pride for the holiday donations to Feeding America, Alison Lewis is a nationally known recipe developer and blogger, recognized for her healthy, family-friendly recipes. Alison states in her blog, "This holiday season I urge you to share the spirit of Honeysuckle White® and Shady Brook Farms® brands. These companies know the strong meaning behind turkey. For many people, turkey represents family, togetherness, unity and peace. Sharing turkey with more than a million people through the holidays just feels right." People can still get involved with financial donations (every dollar helps), volunteerism at a local Feeding America member food bank and by telling others to do the same.
HUNGER IN AMERICA
- Nearly one in four children (22.3 percent) live in food insecure households in the United States
- 40% of Feeding America's clients said they had to choose between rent/mortgage payments and food
- Feeding America's 203 food banks secure and distribute 3 billion pounds of donated food and grocery products annually via a network of agencies such as soup kitchens, food pantries, shelters and after-school programs
- CLICK FOR MORE FACTS ABOUT HUNGER AND FEEDING AMERICA®
THE SKINNY ON TURKEY
- Lean turkey cuts have minimal total fat per serving, virtually no saturated fat, and healthful protein
- Whole turkeys have 30% fewer calories than whole chickens (170 calories for turkey, 240 calories for chicken)
- Whole turkeys have 60% less fat than whole chickens (8 grams of fat, 2.5 grams of saturated fat; 18 grams of fat, 5 grams of saturated fat for chicken)
- Fully-cooked Honeysuckle White Oven Roasted Whole Turkey is easy to prepare, lean and filling with only 140 calories and 7 grams of fat for a 3-ounce portion
- CLICK FOR MORE INFORMATION about Cargill Turkey brands and recipes at www.honeysucklewhite.com or www.shadybrookfarms.com.
SOURCE Cargill Meat Solutions