PORTLAND, Ore., July 24, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The following is being released by the Notice Provider in the lawsuit Scharfstein v. BP West Coast Products LLC by order of the Circuit Court for Multnomah County, Oregon.
There is an update for affected consumers in a class action lawsuit against BP West Coast Products LLC ("BPWCP").
Previously, an Oregon jury found that BPWCP charged more for gas than the amount registered at the pump and failed to properly disclose its prices when it charged a 35-cent fee to consumers who used debit cards to pay for gas at Oregon ARCO-branded stations and ampm locations. BPWCP denies the claims and plans to appeal the jury verdict.
The Oregon state rule on unclaimed money in class actions has recently changed. Affected consumers who did not previously receive a letter about the case, file a claim, or opt out of the lawsuit may need to take action. If this case applies to them, they must file a claim or opt-out of this lawsuit to preserve their rights. Any money that is not claimed will be paid to Oregon Legal Services and an entity (or entities) chosen by the Court.
Consumers who purchased gas with a debit card at certain Oregon ARCO or ARCO ampm locations between January 1, 2011 and August 30, 2013 and paid a 35-cent debit card transaction fee are eligible to get $164.85 or more (a $200 payment, minus attorneys' fees of up to $35.15 per claim).
Important Information and Dates:
- Consumers who received a direct notice letter in the mail or already filed a claim do not need to do anything in order to qualify for an automatic payment.
- Consumers who did not receive a direct notice letter in the mail or already file a claim may:
- File a claim online or by mail by September 21, 2015 to get a payment. Consumers who file a claim give up the right to sue BPWCP for the claims in this case.
- Object to the notice or claims process (or the fees if you file a claim now) by September 18, 2015.
- Complete an opt-out form online or by mail or submit a letter to exclude themselves from the case. Opt-out requests must be received by September 21, 2015.
- The Court will hold a hearing on how the unclaimed money should be allocated on September 21, 2015.
- No payments will be made unless the verdict is upheld after BPWCP appeals.
For more information about the lawsuit, the request for attorney fees and costs, or to file a claim, visit www.DebitCardClassAction.com, call 1-866-329-5931, or write to: ARCO/ampm Debit Card Class Action, PO Box 3266, Portland, OR 97208-3266.
SOURCE David F. Sugerman, Lead Counsel for the Class