NEW YORK, March 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- (http://www.myprgenie.com) -- The sixth annual Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. National Physician of the Year Awards will take place on Monday evening, March 28, 2011 at the Hudson Theatre at the Millennium Broadway Hotel in New York City. The Awards recognize and honor five exemplary physicians, as well as the many thousands of other excellent physicians practicing in communities throughout the United States. The evening will begin at 6:00PM with the awards presentation followed by a cocktail buffet. Tickets are $125 each.
Several awards are given to those who work tirelessly in their respective field of medicine.
The Lifetime Achievement Award is awarded to physicians for their lifetime of dedication to research and practice in their respected fields. This year, the award will be presented to:
- George P. Canellos, M.D., Senior Physician, Department of Medical Oncology -- Dana Farber Cancer Institute and William Rosenberg Professor of Medicine -- Harvard Medical School. Dr. Canellos has been a leading contributor to the treatment of advanced Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, integrating antibody therapy with cytotoxic agents.
- Matthew D. Davis, M.D., Professor Emeritus, Professor of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences -- University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Dr. Davis helped develop the photographing of the fundus, the back of the eye for diagnostic study. He then led NIH research in the use of lasers and photocoagulation for treatment of diabetic retinopathy, saving the eyesight of millions of diabetics.
The Clinical Excellence Award, recognizing physicians who exemplify excellence in clinical medical practice, will be presented to:
- Armando E. Giuliano, M.D., FACS, FRCSED, Director, Chief of Science and Medicine -- John Wayne Cancer Institute at Saint John's Health Center. Dr. Giuliano worked on the development of sentinel node biopsy for breast cancer, which allows surgeons to test for the spread of a malignancy in a breast cancer patient.
- David W. Kennedy, M.D., FACS, Professor of Otorhinolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery -- University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Kennedy's introduction of endoscopic sinus surgery revolutionized the field by taking a difficult operation and turning it into a routine procedure that produces far better outcomes for the hundreds of thousands of patients who undergo the procedure every year.
- Wayne Isom, M.D., Professor and Chairman, Terry Allen Kramer Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery -- New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Isom has been instrumental in developing bloodless cardiac surgery and is well known for his several celebrity patients including Larry King and David Letterman.
The National Health Leadership Award is awarded to a non-physician whose work with an organization has heightened the awareness for the need of support and research for that cause. Evelyn H. Lauder, Senior Corporate Vice President of The Estee Lauder Companies Inc. and Founder and Chairman of The Breast Cancer Research Foundation(R), will receive this year's Award. Mrs. Lauder has radically raised the awareness of breast cancer, treatment and the need for regular and early examinations throughout the world. She has also helped establish the Evelyn H. Lauder Breast Center at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City.
John K. Castle, Chairman, and John J. Connolly, Ed.D., President and CEO, of Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., William Liss-Levinson, Ph.D., Vice President, Chief Strategy & Operations Officer, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. and Jean Morgan, M.D., Vice President, Chief Medical & Research Officer, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. will be among the Awards Presenters for the evening. Robin Elliott, Executive Director of the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, will be the Master of Ceremonies.
About the National Physician of the Year Awards
Each year, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. receives thousands of nominations from physicians and the medical leadership of major medical centers, specialty hospitals, teaching hospitals and regional and community medical centers across the United States as an integral part of our research process to identify America's Top Doctors(R). The selected physicians, while located in all 50 states and involved in more than 70 medical specialties and subspecialties, all share one distinguishing professional attribute: an unwavering dedication to their patients and to medicine as a whole. In honor of these outstanding physicians, as well as the many thousands of other excellent physicians practicing in communities throughout the United States, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. created the National Physician of the Year Awards.
About Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.
Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. is America's trusted source for identifying top doctors. Founded in 1991 by John K. Castle, (Chairman) and John J. Connolly, Ed.D. (President and CEO), who served as board chairman, and president and CEO of New York Medical College, respectively, its mission is to help consumers find the best healthcare. They achieve that mission through their consumer books -- such as America's Top Doctors(R) -- their web site and various consumer and business-oriented print and online partnerships. Under the direction of its physician-lead research team, Castle Connolly surveys tens of thousands of physicians and hospital executives in order to identify, screen and, ultimately, select those physicians regarded by their peers as leaders - among the very best -- in their specialties and for specific diseases and techniques. The members of the management team include Jean Morgan, M.D., Vice-President, Chief Medical & Research Officer and William Liss-Levinson, Ph.D., Vice-President, Chief Strategy & Operations Officer. Castle Connolly's valuable top doctors information can also be found online at www.castleconnolly.com.
To contact Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., please contact William Liss-Levinson, Ph.D. at (212) 367-8400 ext. 14 or fax to (212) 367-0964 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information on the Awards and to purchase tickets to the Awards, please contact Beverly Fox at (212) 317-6413 or fax to (212) 888-5460/Attention Beverly Fox or email to email@example.com.
Media Contact: Mitchell Manning Associates, firstname.lastname@example.org, (212) 980-1711
SOURCE Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.