MONROE, La., Dec. 21, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- What day of the year is the biggest for retail sales? According to industry insiders, this year, Super Saturday, December 23 could be one of the biggest opportunities to drive retail revenue. With increased sales come increased opportunities for retailers to be compromised by bad actors trying to steal critical information across the omnichannel. In this most merry time, we provide "A Verse on Security Vigilance" and some key takeaways to help keep brands protected during the holiday season and beyond.
Watch the video: http://bit.ly/SecurityVigilance
Key Takeaways for Retail Security Vigilance:
- Improve your security controls through education about common methods of data compromise. In the retail space, according to a recent report from security firm Bitglass, 59 percent of hackers identify phishing as the preferred method for data exfiltration. Threat intelligence can go a long way in the detection of unauthorized and suspicious activity, so retailers can respond and mitigate threats.
- Most retail breaches in recent years were due to point of sale (POS) compromise and exploitation of zero-day vulnerabilities. Digital cash registers are often the target of malware designed to steal credit card numbers. To minimize the potential for a breach, businesses that give remote access to their point of sale system can consider installing two-factor authentication and move to end-to-end encryption of customers' data throughout the entire payment process, including the moment the credit card is swiped.
- Remember the basics – comprehensive patch management review should be a priority to keep retail systems and servers protected against software vulnerabilities ripe for compromise.
- Read the blog: http://bit.ly/CTLSecurityVigBlog
- Access the white paper: Security Underpins the Digital Transformation of Retail
CenturyLink (NYSE: CTL) is the second largest U.S. communications provider to global enterprise customers. With customers in more than 60 countries and an intense focus on the customer experience, CenturyLink strives to be the world's best networking company by solving customers' increased demand for reliable and secure connections. The company also serves as its customers' trusted partner, helping them manage increased network and IT complexity and providing managed network and cyber security solutions that help protect their business.
D. Nikki Wheeler
CenturyLink Media Relations
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/centurylink-presents-a-verse-on-security-vigilance-300574211.html
SOURCE CenturyLink, Inc.