Check Your Driving Licence before Taking to Your Motorhome

Jun 28, 2012, 06:29 ET from Comfort Insurance

LONDON, June 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Comfort Insurance has issued a warning to motorhome owners and prospective motorhome owners to check their driving licence before getting behind the wheel. They've stated that it is important to check the categories on their driving licence and the size of the motorhome.

Peter Cue, Managing Director at Comfort Insurance, has explained: "It's absolutely essential that those looking to drive a motorhome ensure they are actually legally allowed to drive their vehicle of choice. It's not uncommon for people to purchase motorhomes without having the correct vehicle category on their driving licence. Also, depending on the size and weight of the motorhome you hope to drive, the category you'd need on your licence can vary. So these specifications will be crucial to know."

Mr Cue went on to add: "The younger generation that seems to be joining the motorhoming world have lower restrictions on their licences when compared to those that passed their test 40 years ago, for example. This is something else that needs to be addressed."

Comfort Insurance, a provider of Motorhome Insurance, has been taking a look at the different licence categories required to drive different sized motorhomes. Category B will enable people to drive a vehicle with a maximum weight of 3500kg, with eight passenger seats and with a trailer no heavier than 750kg. It is also possible to tow a trailer that is heavier than 750kg if the maximum weight of the vehicle and the trailer combined does not exceed 3500kg.

Category C1 allows drivers to take charge of a vehicle with a maximum weight of more than 3500kg but less than 7500kg with a trailer no heavier than 750kg. To tow a heavier trailer, drivers will require category C1+E.

Category C will allow drivers to get behind the wheel of a vehicle heavier than 3500kg with a trailer no heavier than 750kg. In order to tow a trailer heavier than that, drivers will require category C+E.

Comfort Insurance has been providing Motorhome Insurance for a number of years and is one of the market leaders. If you'd like to request a quote, simply visit their website. Alternatively you can give them a ring to discuss any further options, or indeed, any particular licence requirements you may be unsure about.

SOURCE Comfort Insurance