CHICAGO, Sept. 29, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- National support for hunger relief continues in the final days of Feeding America's annual Hunger Action Month campaign, as Grammy™ award-winning recording artist and actor Ludacris volunteered to serve healthy meals to children in Atlanta yesterday.
He joins other Feeding America Entertainment Council members and celebrity friends, including Jamie Chung, Kimberly Williams-Paisley, Bridget Moynahan and Rocco DiSpirito, who have taken action by volunteering at Feeding America food banks, pantries and meal programs this September.
"What an amazing day, working in the community to teach kids the importance of healthy eating and bringing awareness to Hunger Action Month. One in six children face hunger in our country, now that's Ludicrous. We do this because we are all family in one form or another," said Chris "Ludacris" Bridges.
Ludacris served an after-school meal to more than 80 children and lead a healthy-eating activity at Carrie Steele-Pitts Home in Atlanta, a partner agency of the Atlanta Community Food Bank and an organization The Ludacris Foundation also supports.
One-hundred percent of Feeding America network food banks (200 members); dozens of governors, mayors, federal and local officials; more than 25 celebrity activists; and thousands of individuals have come together to fight hunger this month. This year's campaign asks everyone to consider what it is like to live on an empty stomach, and share what they couldn't do without the proper nutrition from a meal.
When asked what they can't do on an empty stomach, anti-hunger activists responded:
- "Think clearly or be active," from Ashley Greene;
- "Best serve my constituents," from Representative Mike Conaway (R-TX);
- "Learn," from Representative Bobby Scott (D-VA);
- "Play football," from Kelvin Beachum;
- "Bake," from Cake Boss Buddy Valastro; and
- "Get anything done," from Darby Stanchfield.
Other celebrities have supported the campaign online including Laila Ali, Jen Arnold, Betsy Brandt, Theresa Caputo, Jennie Garth, Sara Gore, Samantha Harris, Bill Klein, Tony Robbins, Amy Roloff, Curtis Stone, Alison Sweeney, Whitney Thore, Kelly Clarkson, and Scott Wolf.
"I am inspired by the commitment that so many people and organizations are demonstrating to encourage others to take action against hunger," said Diana Aviv, CEO of Feeding America. "Hunger is an unacceptable reality for millions of Americans and we hope the momentum achieved during Hunger Action Month will continue to shine a spotlight on the issue year round."
Supporters can continue to raise awareness of hunger and support the Hunger Action Month campaign through three calls-to-action:
- Share what you couldn't do without adequate nutrition by writing on an empty plate, "On an empty stomach I can't _____," and filling in the blank with something you couldn't achieve without proper nutrition. Take a picture of your plate and post it to social media with #HungerActionMonth and @FeedingAmerica to join the conversation.
- Share the Empty Plates video from Feeding America's Facebook Page to illuminate what dinner might look like for families who don't have enough food to make a balanced meal. Share to your Facebook account with #HungerActionMonth.
- Volunteer at your local food bank during the month of September and post a photo of your experience to social media with the hashtag #HungerActionMonth. Find your local food bank by entering your zip code here.
Beyond the month of September, Feeding America encourages supporters to visit their website at FeedingAmerica.org to learn more about hunger in your community and join the fight to end it.
About Feeding America®
Feeding America is the nationwide network of 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the United States. Together, we provide food to more than 46 million people through 60,000 food pantries and meal programs in communities across America. Feeding America also supports programs that improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Individuals, charities, businesses and government all have a role in ending hunger. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Educate. Together we can solve hunger. Visit www.feedingamerica.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
Ross Fraser, Media Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/chris-ludacris-bridges-and-the-ludacris-foundation-join-feeding-america-to-raise-awareness-of-hunger-in-the-united-states-during-hunger-action-month-300336644.html
SOURCE Feeding America