AVENTURA, Fla., Jan. 26 /PRNewswire/ -- Cinergy Health, a nationwide health insurance agency providing guaranteed issue and short term major medical insurance programs, responds to the alarming rise in childhood obesity. One in three children in America is overweight or obese and one out of every five teenagers has a cholesterol level that increases the risk of heart disease. This has become such a health concern that even First Lady Michelle Obama is taking proactive measures to combat the epidemic.
"The rise in childhood obesity is a real concern not only for the health of the child, but also the economic health of the nation," said Daniel Touizer, CEO of Cinergy Health. "If obesity rates in children don't decline, Americans will be spending a lot more money on healthcare to treat obesity-related conditions like diabetes, cancer and heart disease."
Dr. Margaret Lewin, Medical Director at Cinergy Health, created five steps families and children can take to reduce weight:
- Increase Physical Activity. Young people can always find physical activities within their capabilities that are fun. These activities should be supervised, where there is constant encouragement and a sense of obligation to participate.
- Limit Time Spent on Solitary, Sedentary Activities Other Than Schoolwork. Set a daily limit on time spent on electronic games, watching television, surfing the Internet and texting.
- Increase Social Time Not Centered Around Food. Encourage children to participate in after-school activities, like athletics or hobbies like painting, which is also a great stress reliever.
- Learn What a Healthy Diet Is. Take steps to replace unhealthy foods with those that offer better nutrition and lower calories. Eat healthier options first, dampening the appetite for other foods. Find socially acceptable substitutes: veggies instead of chips with dips. Limit portion sizes by using smaller plates and replace colas with seltzer flavored with lemon or lime.
- Educate and Encourage Families. Families should learn to shop more wisely, prepare tasty, healthy alternatives to fattening foods, and keep healthy, low-calories snacks readily available.
About Cinergy Health
CINERGY HEALTH, with headquarters in Florida, is a nationwide provider of innovative and affordable health insurance solutions designed to meet the changing needs of American families. Recognizing the financial challenges for people who cannot afford or qualify for costly major medical insurance plans, Cinergy Health designs and delivers lower cost alternative health plans that facilitate access to quality healthcare services and enable people to maintain better health. Cinergy Health specializes in niche market needs through limited medical benefit plans, which provide first dollar coverage for the predictable medical care people need most frequently, and short term major medical insurance, which provides comprehensive coverage for people with a temporary need for affordable major medical insurance. Further, plan members can choose doctors and hospitals of their choice without being confined to a list.
SOURCE Cinergy Health