WASHINGTON, May 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Regional air quality organization Clean Air Partners celebrated 20 years of dedication to improving the greater Baltimore-Washington region's air quality at last night's Annual Awards Celebration. Clean Air Partners reinvigorated the celebration with the Best In Air Awards, honoring industry leaders COPD Foundation, Grid Alternatives, and Lyft for their exemplary commitments to decreasing air pollution and protecting public health. The Awards also recognized students for their outstanding creativity as part of the On the Air education awards. The full list of Award winners can be found at www.cleanairpartners.net.
"There have been significant improvements to our region's air quality during Clean Air Partners' tenure. We are grateful to businesses and individuals for their tremendous commitments to changing the way we view everyday choices. We empower residents to make small changes where they live, work, and play — while educating sensitive groups and others about how they can respond on the days we do experience poor conditions," said Clean Air Partners Board Chair Brian O'Malley. "Recognizing the Best In Air Award winners and those who have made an impact on air quality is a highlight of our work — encouraging future leaders to continue to care about our air."
Pepco's Edison Place Gallery served as an exceptional venue for more than one hundred guests who enjoyed networking with industry leaders, winners, and interactive demonstrations from Casey Trees, Pollinator Partnership, and Urban Jungle. Speakers and special guests included:
- Tom Van Arsdall, Pollinator Partnership Director of Public Affairs. His advocacy efforts have been instrumental in the enactment of pollinator conservation and research provisions.
- Brian O'Malley, Clean Air Partners Chair and President and CEO of Central Maryland Transportation Alliance. Brian advocates for improving transportation resources throughout metropolitan Baltimore.
The Best In Air Award winners were selected by public voting from a group of nearly 20 organizations up for nomination. Winners included:
- Champion: Grid Alternatives for outstanding leadership, vision, and contribution with lasting impact on our region's air quality.
- Most Valuable Partners: COPD Foundation for their significant efforts promoting easy ways to reduce air pollution.
- Trendsetter: Lyft for exemplary efforts through innovative programs to improve air quality.
Clean Air Partners On the Air Student Award winners were selected based on creativity, subject matter, and uniqueness for Clean Air Partners slogan and poster contests. First-place winners included:
Slogan Contest Winners:
- Category 1 (grades 4-6): "Lend a Hand to Stop Pollution. Be the Solution.", Elizabeth Kovacs, John Poole Middle School, Montgomery County, MD
- Category 2 (grades 7-8): "Don't Let Your Tomorrow Be Clouded by Today – Stop Air Pollution.", Sarah Whitis, Fairfax County Middle School, Fairfax County, VA
- Category 1 (grades 4-6): Nuri Lim, Greenbriar East Elementary, Fairfax County, VA
- Category 2 (grades 7-8): Vladimir Velasquez, John Poole Middle School, Montgomery County, MD
About Clean Air Partners
Clean Air Partners is a public-private partnership that educates the greater metropolitan Baltimore-Washington region about the health risks associated with poor air quality and the impacts everyday actions have on the environment. For 20 years, Clean Air Partners has helped individuals and organizations take simple actions to reduce their impact on the environment and exposure to air pollution during unhealthy air quality days. Clean Air Partners' Air Quality App is a free resource that provides air quality forecasts and real-time health notification. For more information and to download the app, visit www.cleanairpartners.net.
About Clean Air Partners "On the Air" Curriculum and Outreach Program
The Clean Air Partners infographic, slogan, and poster contests are launched each year through the "On the Air" education curriculum. On the Air reaches tens of thousands of students across the region using hands-on activities to teach students about the affect poor air quality has on their health and the environment.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/clean-air-partners-celebrates-20th-anniversary-300458779.html
SOURCE Clean Air Partners