AUSTIN, Texas, Sept. 5, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- It's easy to recognize a digitally mature organization: Just look at the ways in which that company embraces and employs the cloud. As mainframes once provided more capacity than was imaginable at the time, so too does today's cloud provide virtually limitless capacity. When it comes to application development, this is a significant paradigm shift. No longer do developers have to think about capacity and requisition hardware before writing a single line of code. As long as they create applications that are optimized from the start to take advantage of all the cloud has to offer, they can focus their development efforts on functionality, on getting the app market-ready f-a-s-t, and on making it automatically scalable ad infinitum. According to the experts at Coda Global, (www.coda.global), a cloud-native consultancy and application developer, the secret lies in building an application on cloud-native principles, something Coda AppDev expert Sharan Gurunathan was recently asked to explain in an educational video for business and technology professionals entitled "What is Cloud-Native Application Development and Why Is It So Important?" produced by Cognistar as part of its extensive SmartPros WatchIT educational video library.
"Simply stated, 'cloud native' is an application development methodology that allows organizations to consume the cloud's near-infinite capacity," says Gurunathan, Executive Vice President and Principal Solutions Architect at Coda. "If I build an application using established cloud-native standards, that application should be able to be deployed and automatically scale from 10 users to 10 million users without having to change the application at all. That is the power of the cloud-native methodology."
A Cloud-Native Primer: Seven Steps to Success
For organizations that are new to cloud-native principles, the AppDev experts at Coda Global have assembled a get-started primer with seven steps to success that every cloud-native project should follow.
- Build a Strong Foundation: Before jumping right into cloud-native AppDev, it's important to build a strong foundation based on best practices and established cloud-native principles. Start by identifying your organization's platform of choice – maybe it's AWS, Cloud Foundry or Azure. Which container technology will you use – Docker or Kubernetes? Will automation tools be built into every application from the start? All of these basic architecture questions and answers should be outlined in a high-level technology blueprint that acts as a guide for any and all AppDev work the organization performs.
- Unleash Imagination: Now it's time to truly unleash creativity by fully engaging the organization's lines of business (LOBs). Businesspeople often have imaginative ideas that the development or infrastructure teams would never think to implement. But many of those ideas are never discussed or realized simply because LOBs don't know what's possible to achieve with cloud native technologies. Tell them that cloud-native makes the impossible possible. Encourage the flow of both inventive and outrageous ideas. And let the entire team – especially the non-technical LOB folks – know that, with cloud-native, the sky's the limit.
- Get DevOptimized: One of the most important steps in cloud-native application development is getting the infrastructure and development teams on the same technological page. Start by putting everyone in the same room to encourage collaboration in the initial stages of development. Coda's proprietary DevOptimized™ approach brings these teams together along with a standard set of tools and development patterns that build the common ground needed to deliver value more quickly.
- Eliminate Capacity Caps: Erase any preconceived notions the teams may have about building an app to fit the capacity they have available. Refocus them instead on functionality and creating a software solution that is custom-made to take full advantage of the cloud and its vast capacity from the start.
- Use What Already Exists: With cloud-native best practices, there's no need to reinvent the wheel. Whenever possible and practical, use applications that already exist – if there's a proven authentication or login application available, for example, don't write a new one. Cloud-native development encourages the use of microservices, smaller applications used as building blocks to create much larger applications, saving time and money in the process. Enablers of this microservices architecture, containers provide the standards that allow the software to run reliably when moved from one computing environment to another. And, the more microservices are employed, the faster the project's time-to-market becomes.
- Automate Deployment: When it comes to cloud-native development, automation is absolutely fundamental to success. A machine should be able to deploy any cloud-native app without human intervention. This is what makes principles like auto-scaling possible – and it's ultimately how users consume the immense capacity available in the cloud.
- Get a Fresh Start: Want to take these cloud-native principles out for a spin? If you're testing the waters to see what kind of return on investment a cloud-native approach to AppDev can provide, start with a new project and build it from the ground up using cloud-native principles that take advantage of the cloud's unique capabilities. While it's tempting to take a legacy app and refactor portions of it using cloud-native techniques – which is one way to move legacy apps to the cloud – it may not be the most effective way to demonstrate the immediate ROI of employing cloud-native principles.
Want to Learn More?
- Explore the fundamentals of cloud-native principles and technologies and why they are so important to the future of application development in this SmartPros WatchIT video featuring Sharan Gurunathan, Coda Global Executive Vice President and Principal Solutions Architect: http://ow.ly/qvjg30lCrYb.
- Find out how Coda Global combines its RightStart methodology with its proprietary DevOptimized™ approach to accelerate the AppDev process in this infographic: http://ow.ly/KEL930l6EBH.
- What are some common roadblocks to digital transformation – and how do you get a derailed cloud transformation back on track? See what Coda's experts recommend in this blog post and related animation and infographic.
About Coda Global
Coda Global is a cloud-native consultancy and application developer that helps companies accelerate their journey to the cloud. Using its unique DevOptimized™ approach, Coda works with customers worldwide during every stage of solution development and cloud transformation. From cloud native custom application development to modernizing existing applications or migrating legacy apps to the cloud, Coda Global turns each client's application dream into its dream application. Coda's ability to work at an accelerated pace allows it to deliver the right technology solutions to meet each customer's current business needs while future-proofing application projects to scale and innovate as the client's business grows, giving customers of all sizes – from startups and midmarket firms to enterprise-level Fortune 500 organizations – the RightStart they need to bring their best ideas to market. To learn more, visit Coda Global's website at www.coda.global.
Coda Global Media Contacts
Coda Global, LLC.
Communication Strategy Group for Coda Global
(631) 239-6335 x222
SOURCE Coda Global