WASHINGTON, July 25, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Collins Aerospace Systems, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX), joined with ILC Dover today to unveil a Next Generation Space Suit system prototype designed for future missions. The unveiling took place at a United Technologies event on Capitol Hill featuring the company's past, present and future contributions to manned space exploration as part of a celebration of the fiftieth anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar mission.
Drawing on their extensive collaboration dating back to the Apollo program and continuing through the Space Shuttle and International Space Station programs, the two companies funded and designed the Next Generation Space Suit system as a forward-looking prototype and demonstrator of innovative future suit technologies. The system was designed with NASA and commercial customer applications in mind, including lunar surface missions in partial gravity, orbital space station missions in microgravity and future planetary missions.
Compared to Collins Aerospace's existing space suit used by astronauts today on the International Space Station—the Extravehicular Mobility Unit (EMU), which ILC Dover also collaborated on—the Next Generation Space Suit system boasts a number of enhanced features, including:
- New carbon dioxide removal technology that is perpetually regenerated while in use. This breakthrough technology enables extended-duration missions, reduces dependency on resupply and significantly reduces crew maintenance time.
- Improved mobility joints and an ambulatory lower torso that will allow astronauts to traverse hazardous terrain, perform complex assembly tasks and closely examine, handle and collect geological samples from the surface.
- Upper torso structural component with advanced sizing features to enable a larger anthropometric range of astronauts to have an optimal fit in as few as two sizes. The upper torso can be resized quickly without tools.
- Significantly more efficient motors and electronics that reduce size and weight, and enable the incorporation of additional avionics and data capabilities into the suit.
- Pathways to integrate parallel development of cutting-edge information technology and display systems that will provide astronauts with a digitally connected experience, including advanced displays and voice-activated controls, real-time access to data, and HD video recording and communication capabilities.
- Open, evolvable architecture that allows the space suit to be easily upgraded with technologies that keep the suit state-of-the-art and aligned with mission objectives.
"Collins Aerospace is proud to collaborate with ILC Dover on the Next Generation Space Suit system," said Gail Baker, president, ISR & Space Solutions at Collins Aerospace. "Together, we have a rich history of advancing human space exploration, and as we celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar mission, we have already begun writing the next chapter."
"Collaborating with an innovative company like Collins Aerospace is a perfect match," said Patty Stoll, division manager, Space Systems at ILC Dover. "Our depth of experience and knowledge of suit technology at ILC Dover joined with Collins' life support capabilities makes us a formidable team. Together, we're going back to the Moon and on to Mars."
About Collins Aerospace
Collins Aerospace Systems, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX), is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Created in 2018 by bringing together UTC Aerospace Systems and Rockwell Collins, Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers' toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market. For more information, visit CollinsAerospace.com.
About United Technologies Corporation
United Technologies Corp., based in Farmington, Connecticut, provides high-technology systems and services to the building and aerospace industries. By combining a passion for science with precision engineering, the company is creating smart, sustainable solutions the world needs. For more information about the company, visit our website at www.utc.com or follow us on Twitter: @UTC.
This press release contains forward-looking statements concerning future business opportunities. Actual results may differ materially from those projected as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to changes in government procurement priorities and practices, budget plans and availability of funding, and in the number of aircraft to be built; challenges in the design, development, production and support of advanced technologies, and the realization of the anticipated benefits associated with those advanced technologies; as well as other risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to those detailed from time to time in United Technologies Corp.'s Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
About ILC Dover
Innovators at our core, we develop engineered solutions for our customers' complex problems.
Recognized globally for our flexible containment solutions, ILC Dover serves customers in a diverse range of industries, including pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical manufacturing, personal care, food and beverage, chemical, aerospace, healthcare and government agencies. At ILC Dover, quality is a culture, not a measurement. Our customers will tell you that we cater to their every need and that we're highly innovative, responsive, dedicated and competitive. We have been innovating since 1947. ILC Dover's visionary solutions improve efficiency, safeguard workers and product, and prevent disasters—proof that we are on the front line of business excellence.
Engineering evolution beyond boundaries.
SOURCE Collins Aerospace