BOGOTA, Colombia, Dec. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- comScore, Inc. (Nasdaq: SCOR), a leader in measuring the digital world, today released results from its latest study on Internet usage in Colombia. The report found that Colombia is the fastest-growing Internet market in Latin America, growing 31 percent in the past year to reach 11.8 million unique visitors in September 2010. comScore will present the complete results of the study during a live, complimentary webinar: The State of the Internet Colombia, on Thursday, December 16. To register for the webinar, please visit: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/588462985
"The online channel in Colombia has experienced expansive growth in the past year with more people accessing the Internet as part of their daily routine," said Hugo Hernandez, comScore country manager for Colombia. "As one of the fastest-growing online markets, Colombia offers significant potential for digital innovation and development as more industries, such as retail and travel, begin to integrate the online channel into their business strategies."
Colombia Online Population Climbs 31 Percent
In September 2010, more than 107 million people age 15 and older visited the Internet from a home or work location in Latin America, a 17-percent increase from the previous year. Brazil ranked as the largest online market in Latin America with more than 38 million visitors, an increase of 19 percent. Mexico followed as the next largest market with nearly 17 million visitors (up 21 percent), followed by Argentina with 12.8 million visitors (up 9 percent). Colombia led as the fastest-growing market in audience growth, increasing 31 percent to 11.8 million visitors.
Total Unique Visitor Growth by Market September 2010 vs. September 2009 Total Audience, Age 15+ - Home & Work Locations Source: comScore Media Metrix
Total Unique Visitors (000)
*Excludes visitation from public computers such as Internet cafes or access from mobile phones or PDAs
Additional highlights from the presentation include:
- The average Internet user in Colombia spent 20.4 hours online during September, consuming 1,606 pages of content and averaging 42 online visits during the month.
- 86 percent of Colombians visited a social networking destination in September, with Facebook leading the category. Visitors averaged 4.6 hours on the site during the month.
- Nearly 7 out of 10 Colombians visited a photo sharing site in September led by Facebook.com Photos.
- The online retail and travel industries remain in their infancy in Colombia reaching just 54 percent and 20 percent of the online audience, respectively, far below most countries. However, both industries show significant potential for growth and development.
- An average searcher in Colombia conducted 184 searches in September, resulting in a total of 2 billion queries conducted in Colombia during the month.
comScore will present a complimentary webinar, The State of the Internet Colombia, on Thursday, December 16 at 10:00 a.m. local Colombia time (COT). The webinar will be conducted in Spanish. To register for the webinar, please visit: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/588462985
Follow us on Twitter
SOURCE comScore, Inc.