OCEANPORT, N.J., June 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- CommVault (NASDAQ: CVLT) -- The shift toward virtualized and cloud-enabled data centers promises unprecedented efficiency as servers, storage, applications and networks are deployed, configured and managed as a single entity. This converged infrastructure model can offer greater agility and automation in responding to changing business needs. It also requires, however, an integrated data protection solution that can address server consolidation, high data density and collapsing backup windows, effectively and economically. Today at the Dell Storage Forum 2011 Conference, CommVault and Dell announced they have partnered to introduce such a solution, which encompasses CommVault® Simpana® software, Dell PowerEdge Blade servers and Dell EqualLogic storage to streamline and accelerate the protection and recovery of modern data centers with thousands of virtual machines.
- CommVault and Dell have collaborated on a Converged Virtual Infrastructure Building Block, designed to provide fully integrated protection, recovery and retention of mission-critical data residing in virtual environments. The building block reference framework delivers a massively scalable solution for protecting and managing critical data in a VMware environment.
- The turnkey reference solution combines Dell PowerEdge Blade Servers, Dell PowerConnect Network Infrastructure, Dell EqualLogic Storage and VMware vSphere 4.1 with CommVault's industry-leading Simpana 9 software. The result: all the components needed to build a scalable, reliable virtual data center, that starts small and scales seamlessly in simple increments.
- This joint effort between CommVault and Dell allows companies to quickly and easily add identical virtualization blocks by leveraging CommVault's snapshot protection capabilities. With this newly combined solution from Dell and CommVault, customers can reap the benefits of highly virtualized, modern data centers including seamless integration, automation and scalability, while bypassing many of the performance problems and migration pitfalls associated with traditional data protection platforms.
Tweet this: @CommVault and @Dell debut Converged Virtual Infrastructure Building Blocks at Dell Storage Forum http://bit.ly/iuT0u #DellSF11
Protect Thousands of Virtual Machines in Minutes
- The Converged Virtual Infrastructure Building Block reference architecture applies to Dell's recently launched vStart Solutions. Dell's vStart virtual infrastructure solutions are pre-tested and pre-configured data center building blocks that include servers, storage, networking and software optimized for VMware virtualization, including management plug-ins for VMware vCenter Server, enabling users to leverage existing tools and skills and make IT generalists more productive through simplification and automation.
- To increase automation and minimize the impact on production servers. Simpana software integrates seamlessly with VMware vStorage APIs and EqualLogic's PS API. In addition, the solution leverages CommVault's integrated snapshot protection technology for policy-based, application-consistent snapshot creation, control and retention of files, databases and VMware data stores.
- For example, CommVault's snapshot protection technology takes full advantage of EqualLogic's underlying storage infrastructure to create rapid, consistent snapshot copies, which are ideal for expediting recovery while providing multiple recovery points per day to support more aggressive Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
- According to performance benchmark tests conducted by CommVault and Dell, it takes 30 minutes to create persistent EqualLogic snapshot-based recovery copies of 500 virtual machines with a total of 15 TB datastore in a single building block.
- Additional building blocks can be added in simple increments to deliver rapid snapshot copies of 1,000 VMs (with 2 building blocks) or even 2,000 VMs (with 4 building blocks) each in 30 minutes.
- CommVault and Dell will be presenting the Converged Virtual Infrastructure Building Block approach at Dell Storage Forum 2011 in Orlando, Fla., on June 7th, 2011, at 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time in the International South room.
Michael McMahon, Vice President of Worldwide OEM Sales for CommVault:
- "By delivering all the building blocks needed to rapidly and reliably deploy a virtual data center, CommVault and Dell are enabling customers to shift more readily to modern, agile and automated environments while achieving unmatched data protection and performance."
Brett Roscoe, Executive Director of Enterprise Storage, Dell:
- "Dell's collaboration with CommVault not only addresses the challenges rising out of limitations in legacy data centers but more importantly, offers organizations a clear roadmap for building virtualized and cloud-enabled data center strategies that are optimized to meet the unique challenges of virtualization while scaling easily to keep pace with changing business needs."
- CommVault® Simpana® 9 software: http://www.commvault.com/products.html
- More on CommVault and Dell: http://partners.commvault.com/dell/
- CommVault Virtual Server Protection: http://www.commvault.com/solutions-virtualization.html
- More on CommVault backup and recovery: http://www.commvault.com/products-backup-recovery.html
- More on CommVault SnapProtect: http://www.commvault.com/solutions-snapprotect.html
- More on Dell EqualLogic PS Series: http://www.dell.com/Equallogic
- More CommVault news: http://news.commvault.com/
- Subscribe to CommVault RSS feeds: http://news.commvault.com/rss-feeds.asp
- Follow CommVault on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CommVault
A singular vision – a belief in a better way to address current and future data management needs – guides CommVault in the development of Singular Information Management® solutions for high-performance data protection, universal availability and simplified management of data on complex storage networks. CommVault's exclusive single-platform architecture gives companies unprecedented control over data growth, costs and risk. CommVault's Simpana® software suite of products was designed to work together seamlessly from the ground up, sharing a single code and common function set, to deliver superlative Data Protection, Archive, Replication, Search and Resource Management capabilities. More companies every day join those who have discovered the unparalleled efficiency, performance, reliability, and control only CommVault can offer. Information about CommVault is available at www.commvault.com. CommVault's corporate headquarters is located in Oceanport, New Jersey in the United States.
Safe Harbor Statement
Customers' results may differ materially from those stated herein; CommVault does not guarantee that all customers can achieve benefits similar to those stated above. This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including statements regarding financial projections, which are subject to risks and uncertainties, such as competitive factors, difficulties and delays inherent in the development, manufacturing, marketing and sale of software products and related services, general economic conditions and others. Statements regarding CommVault's beliefs, plans, expectations or intentions regarding the future are forward-looking statements, within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. All such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Actual results may differ materially from anticipated results. CommVault does not undertake to update its forward-looking statements.
©1999-2011 CommVault Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. CommVault, CommVault and logo, the "CV" logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, Quick Snap, QSnap, SnapProtect, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, ROMS, and CommValue are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.