The future of the composite materials in the global defense industry looks good with opportunities in military aircraft, naval systems, land vehicle, body armor, arms & ammunition, and military hard wall shelter.
The composite materials market in the global defense industry is expected to reach an estimated $670 million by 2023 and is forecast to grow at a CAGR of 1.8% from 2018 to 2023.
Some of the applications of composites in the defense industry are helicopter rotor blade, ballistic protection plates, control surface, radome, doors, and fuselage. The major growth drivers for this market are increasing use of lightweight and high-performance materials in defense programs and growing need for lightweight materials in ballistic protection solutions.
Emerging trends, which have a direct impact on the dynamics for composites in defense industry, include the adoption of nano-technology in ballistic protection materials and growing focus on stealth technology for military aircrafts.
Some of the companies supplying composite materials for defense industry are Cytec-Solvay, Hexcel, Tencate, Polystrand, and Toray.
The research forecasts that the military aircraft is expected to remain the largest segment, while body armor is expected to witness the highest growth during the forecast period supported by the growing demand for lightweight and high strength ballistic protection materials.
By reinforcement type, carbon fiber composite is expected to remain the largest segment over the forecast period. Ceramic matrix composite is expected to witness the highest growth due to its high-temperature performance, better wear resistance, and good compressive strength.
North America is expected to remain the largest market by value and volume. ROW is expected to witness the highest growth over the forecast period because of growth of new defense programs in the region.
Market size estimates: Composites in the global defense industry size estimation in terms of value ($M) and volume (M Lbs.) shipment.
Trend and forecast analysis: Market trend (2012-2017) and forecast (2018-2023) by application, and end use industry.
Segmentation analysis: Composites in the global defense industry size by various applications such as market segment, reinforcement, and resin segment in terms of value and volume shipment.
Regional analysis: Composites in the global defense industry breakdown by North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and the Rest of the World.
Growth opportunities: Analysis on growth opportunities in different applications and regions of composites in the global defense industry.
Strategic analysis: This includes M&A, new product development, and competitive landscape of composites in the global defense industry.
Analysis of competitive intensity of the industry based on Porter's Five Forces model.
Composites in Defense Industry by Market Segment [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2012-2023]:
Helicopter Rotor Blade
Vest Protection Plate
Arms and Ammunition
Military Hard Wall Shelter
Composites in Defense Industry by Reinforcement [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2012-2023]:
Ceramic Matrix Composites
Composites in Defense Industry by Resin [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2012-2023]:
Ceramic Matrix Composites
Composites in Defense Industry by Region [Volume (M lbs) and $M shipment analysis for 2012-2023]:
Rest of North America
Rest of Europe
Rest of Asia Pacific
Rest of the World
Key Topics Covered
1. Executive Summary
2. Market Background and Classifications 2.1: Introduction, Background, and Classifications 2.2: Supply Chain 2.3: Industry Drivers and Challenges
3. Market Trends and Forecast Analysis from 2018 to 2023 3.1: Macroeconomic Trends and Forecast 3.2: Composites in the Global Defense Industry by Market Segment 3.2.1: Military Aircraft 18.104.22.168: Composites in Military Aircraft by Applications 3.2.2: Naval Systems 22.214.171.124: Composites in Naval Systems by Applications 3.2.3: Land Vehicles 126.96.36.199: Composites in Land Vehicles by Applications 3.2.4: Arms and Ammunition 3.2.5: Body Armor 188.8.131.52: Composites in Body Armor by Applications 3.2.6: Military Hard Wall Shelters 3.3: Composites in the Global Defense Industry by Reinforcement Type 3.3.1: Carbon Composites 3.3.2: Glass Composites 3.3.3: Aramid Composites 3.3.4: Ceramic Composites 3.4: Composites in Defense Industry by Resin Type 3.4.1: Thermoset Composites 3.4.2: Thermoplastic Composites 3.4.3: Ceramic Matrix Composites
4. Market Trends and Forecast Analysis by Region 4.1: Composites in the Global Defense Industry by Region 4.2: Composites in the North American Defense Industry 4.2.1: Composites in the United States Defense Industry 4.2.2: Composites in the Remaining North American Defense Industry 4.3: Composites in the European Defense Industry 4.3.1: Composites in the French Defense Industry 4.3.2: Composites in the German Defense Industry 4.3.3: Composites in the UK Defense Composites Industry 4.3.4:Composites in the Remaining European Defense Industry 4.4: Composites in the APAC Defense Industry 4.4.1: Composites in the Chinese Defense Industry 4.4.2: Composites in the Japanese Defense Industry 4.4.3: Composites in the Remaining APAC Defense Industry 4.5: ROW Defense Composites Market 4.5.1: Composites in the Brazilian Defense Industry 4.5.2: Composites in the Israeli Defense Industry 4.5.3: Remaining ROW Defense Composites Market
6. Growth Opportunities and Strategic Analysis 6.1: Growth Opportunity Analysis 6.1.1: Growth Opportunities for Composites in the Global Defense Industry by Market Segment 6.1.2: Growth Opportunities for Composites in the Defense Composites Industry by Reinforcement Type 6.1.3: Growth Opportunities for Defense Composites Market by Resin Type 6.1.4: Growth Opportunities for Composites in the Global Defense Industry by Region Type 6.2: Emerging Trends for Composites in the Global Defense Industry 6.3: Strategic Analysis 6.3.1: New Product Development of Composites in the Global Defense Industry 6.3.2: Capacity Expansion of Composite Suppliers in the Defense Industry 6.3.3: Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures for Composites in the Global Defense Industry
7. Company Profiles of Leading Players 7.1: Cytec Solvay Group 7.2: Hexcel Corporation 7.3: Tencate Advanced Composites 7.4: SGL Carbon SE 7.5: Polystrand Inc. (PolyOne) 7.6: Bond laminates (LANXESS) 7.7: Toray Industries Inc 7.8: Teijin Limited