LONDON and NEW YORK, March 13, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
The Fixed Income Connectivity Working Group (FICWG) extends the scope of their OTC derivatives initiative to include cash bond markets
The Fixed Income Connectivity Working Group (FICWG) of leading sell side banks has today committed to further increase transparency and efficiency in the cash bond markets by the promotion of open, standardized protocols for the electronic trading of cash fixed income products.
The FICWG initiative was launched by the global investment banking community in June 2011 and supported by Etrading Software Limited ("Etrading Software") and Expand Research LLP ("Expand"). In 2011, the focus of the initiative was to define the next generation industry standard for trading Interest Rate Swaps (IRS) and Credit Default Swaps (CDS), working with FIX Protocol Ltd (FPL) and the leading fixed income venues expected to become Swap Execution Facilities (SEFs).Successful execution of the initiative in 2011 resulted in the creation of a set of global best practices recommendations for using the FIX Protocol for the electronic trading of IRS and CDS. These recommendations, which are in the final stages of approval by FPL, are expected to form the basis of many of the trading protocols being implemented by SEFs in 2012.
In 2012, the FICWG initiative will extend the benefits of the open standards to the trading of cash bonds. The scope of the initiative includes standardisation of protocols for pricing and trading government bonds (e.g. US Treasuries, Euro-zone government bonds, Gilts, JGBs) as well as the major credit instruments (e.g. Sovereigns, Supras, Corporates, High Yield and Emerging Markets).
The initiative will generate the following benefits for market participants:
- Increased transparency through faster and easier integration between market participants
- Increased efficiency through lower cost of ownership of the technology required for trading and connectivity
Additional benefits for market participants include faster time to market for new features and products; greater vendor choice and technical flexibility; ability to deploy and re-use trading platform infrastructure across multiple asset classes and improved supportability of trading platforms.
"At Commerzbank we are delighted to support this group to establish increased transparency and efficiency in fixed income trading. Following the successful agreement of the latest protocol for IRS and CDS products, we believe the next logical step is the addition for cash bonds and we look forward to further developments in 2012." / Inga Johal - Acting Head of Bond Trading & Financing (Head of EM & CD) at Commerzbank.
"This initiative will increase transparency and efficiency in fixed income OTC markets by promoting greater technical standardisation and openness across the industry. Among market participants, the initiative will provide a more cost efficient and faster integration process, which is a key requirement in today's rapidly changing environment." / Neil Chinai - Head of Global Rates & Emerging Markets Technology at Barclays Capital.
"Set against the backdrop of sweeping regulatory changes in the fixed income OTC markets, the FICWG efforts to promote a standardized protocol for trading fixed income bond products is more relevant than ever before. We support the goal of enhanced transparency and improved efficiency in trade execution that this initiative aims to achieve." / Sander Schol, Director, The Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME).
Over the course of this year, FICWG will liaise with FPL and industry stakeholders to create a set of global best practices recommendations for using the FIX Protocol for the trading of cash bonds, with the aim of achieving ratification during 2012.
About the FICWG members:
- The members are a group of global broker-dealers who are committed to the promotion of open standards for the trading of fixed income products. They collectively represent a large proportion of the global fixed income OTC market and include BofA Merrill Lynch, Barclays Capital, BNP Paribas, Commerzbank Corporates & Markets, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase, Morgan Stanley, Nomura, Royal Bank of Canada, Royal Bank of Scotland,Société Générale and UBS.
About Etrading Software Limited:
- Established in 2004, Etrading Software is a capital markets IT consultancy that has assisted many of the global tier 1 banks by providing strategic advice and technical services in the domain of high performance front office trading systems, including designing and implementing custom connectivity solutions to electronic markets
- Etrading Software's services include performing the role of a trusted facilitator for technical initiatives involving groups of banks, with a special focus on trading systems and market connectivity
About Expand Research LLP:
- Since 2001, Expand has provided decision-support and research services to the world's leading investment banks. Our unique, client driven syndicated approach enables the development, validation and execution of better business and technology strategies, helping organizations to grow, compete and operate with increased effectiveness.
- With offices in New York, London and Singapore, Expand objectively provides its clients with timely, actionable intelligence on evolving trends across their complete spectrum of investment banking activities.
For banks wishing to learn more about participation in the initiative, please contact:
Expand Research LLP
For media and other queries, please contact:
Etrading Software Limited
SOURCE The Fixed Income Connectivity Working Group (FICWG)