CANNES, France, June 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Google, TNS Global and Ogilvy & Mather will today announce the results of a new study into brand advertising and online consumer behaviour at a special afternoon session at the International Festival of Creativity at Cannes. The session took place at 4pm on June 16th in the Google Beach Pavilion.
The event, sponsored by Kantar Media, will feature a presentation by Tara Walpert Levy, Head of Ads Marketing for Google, and Dirk Steffens, Deputy Managing Director and Head of Media Research for TNS Global.
The study looks at how consumers' relationship to brands has changed. In today's fragmented media and technology landscape, consumers have become mindful of what they watch and share, only engaging with content that is personally relevant to them.
In order to understand them better, Google partnered with TNS Global and Ogilvy & Mather, and over a span of six months, surveyed 2,458 recent purchasers of products in three categories—auto vehicles, beauty products and smartphones.
The results from the research were simple, but transformative. For the new consumer, purchasing is all about purpose. There is a new consumer mindset and their perspective has implications for purchasing behaviour – they shop with the same purpose that they consume content.
Brandon Berger, Worldwide Chief Digital Officer, Ogilvy & Mather said: "With consumer behaviour changing so quickly, it is incredibly valuable to be able to give brands the kind of research-based advice we've produce here in collaboration with YouTube, Google, and TNS. Understanding that the path to purchase is actually a path to purpose has meaningful implications for brand advertising at all stages along the consumer journey."
The research uncovered three new opportunities for brand advertisers too: to make brand advertising share-worthy otherwise it won't breakthrough; to build media plans on points of influence by investing heavily on the most influential touchpoints; and finally by identifying that brand advertisers need to show how their products fit in with consumer's lives. Brands that provide consumers with an ownership-like experience for their products win at the point of purchase.
The research also reveals that there are new consumers out there who live their lives with purpose, looking for content that fulfills their needs, passions, and interests. The degree to which this purpose drives their shopping and purchases is eye-opening. Consumers are 1.5 times more likely to choose brands that engage them on their passions and interests than items that simply urge them to buy the product being advertised. As a result, their path to purchase becomes their path to purpose.
The field research took place from September 2013 to March 2014. 2,458 recent purchasers of products in three categories—auto vehicles, beauty products and smartphones - were surveyed over the course of two waves. The research showed very little correlation between the usage of a platform and the influence thereof. Consumers were found to prefer brands that regularly gave the consumer useful information in their advertising; brands that shared news, updates, and special offers; and brands that demonstrated their principles at all times. Those consumers who went online primarily to pursue passions and interests were found to be better customers (more likely to have purchased something online in the past month) and word-of-mouth machines (1.6 times more likely to rate a product or service online in the past week).
Ogilvy & Mather
Ogilvy & Mather is one of the largest marketing communications companies in the world. It was named both the Cannes Lions Network of the Year and the Effies World's Most Effective Agency Network for two consecutive years, 2012 and 2013. The company is comprised of industry leading units in the following disciplines: advertising; public relations and public affairs; branding and identity; shopper and retail marketing; health care communications; direct, digital, promotion and relationship marketing; consulting, research and analytics; branded content and entertainment; and specialist communications. O&M services Fortune Global 500 companies as well as local businesses through its network of more than 500 offices in 126 countries. It is a WPP company (NASDAQ: WPPGY). For more information, visit http://www.ogilvy.com/, or follow Ogilvy on Twitter at @Ogilvy and on Facebook.com/Ogilvy.
Agency of the Year Accolades
- O&M winner of Global Network of the Year at the One Show in 2014.
- O&M winner of LIA Network of the Year in 2013.
- O&M named Cannes Lions Network of the Year for two consecutive years (2012 and 2013).
- O&M named Effies World's Most Effective Agency Network for two consecutive years (2012 and 2013).
- O&M winner of the Clio Awards Network of the Year for two consecutive years (2012 and 2013).
- O&M Brasil (São Paulo) named North American Grand Effie winner at the 2014 Effie Awards.
- Ogilvy & Mather Paris recognized as Agency of the Year at the Webby Awards and Most Awarded Advertising Agency by the D&AD Awards in 2014.
- O&M Mumbai named Effies World's Most Effective Individual Agency Office for two consecutive years (2012 and 2013).
- O&M North America winner of Most Effective Agency Network for two consecutive years (2012 and 2013).
- O&M Brasil (São Paulo) named Cannes Lions Agency of the Year 2013.
- O&M New York was named North America's Most Effective Individual Agency Office in 2013.
- O&M London Press Agency of the Year, 2013 Campaign BIG awards.
- O&M London Radio Agency of the Year, 2013 Campaign BIG awards.
Facts & Figures
- 24,600 total employees across the world
- 126 countries
- 538 offices
- More than 50 languages
- The number one agency in four out of the five BRIC countries: Brazil, China, India and South Africa.
- 98 clients in five or more countries
- 8,000 digital specialists worldwide
Cannes 2013 Creative Awards:
- Network of the Year 2013 (and 2012)
- Ogilvy Brasil Agency of the Year 2013
- 155 Lions globally (first agency to win over 100 Lions in 1 year)
- 4 Grand Prix (including Titanium & Integrated)
- 1 Creative Effectiveness Award
- 37 Gold Lions
- 46 Silver Lions
- 67 Bronze Lions
SOURCE Ogilvy & Mather