SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Coverity, Inc., the leader in development testing, today announced the availability of the Coverity® Development Testing Platform 7.0, the next-generation of its software testing platform that enables development organizations to create and deliver better software, faster.
The rapid growth of cloud, mobile and web-based application development in Enterprise IT organizations has elevated development testing to a business-critical process in the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC), arming developers with a way to quickly and efficiently test their code and address critical quality and security issues as it is written. The new version of the Coverity Development Testing Platform is the industry's first enterprise-scale solution which combines code analysis, change-aware unit test analysis and policy management across C/C++, Java and C#, three of the most widely adopted programming languages for Enterprise IT application development. With this release, Coverity has built on its market leadership and multiple patents for scalable and accurate defect detection with new innovations to C# and Java code analysis - overcoming the limitations of free tools in the market today - making it easier than ever for developers programming in these popular languages to write high-quality, secure code from the start.
New features in the Coverity platform include:
- Breadth and depth of C# code analysis: 21 new and enhanced C# analysis algorithms further improve the accuracy of defect detection in C# codebases, providing developers with the information they need to quickly troubleshoot and fix critical quality defects, such as resource leaks, concurrency issues and null references.
- Expanded Java web application security coverage: New and expanded coverage for the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) Top 10 and Common Weakness Enumerations (CWE) security vulnerabilities in Java applications.
- Breadth and depth of Java and C/C++ code analysis: 17 new and enhanced analysis algorithms for Java and C/C++ codebases, making it easier than ever to find critical issues that could lead to crashes, inaccurate calculations or unpredictable behavior.
- SonarQube integration: Import critical defects identified by the Coverity platform into SonarQube, a popular open source quality management platform used in Java development, to view and manage a broader range of defects in Java applications within a single workflow.
- Security audit views and compliance reporting: New security audit and compliance views and reports within Coverity Connect and Coverity Policy Manager make it easy to zoom into critical security issues identified, fixed and outstanding, as well as report on compliance with regulations and standards such as the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard and the OWASP Top 10.
- Expanded Coverity Test Advisor workflow integration: New Coverity Test Advisor integrations with the Eclipse and Microsoft Visual Studio IDEs provide developers with intelligence into which unit tests they need to write and run based on the impact of a code change, right from the developer's desktop. In addition, Coverity Test Advisor has expanded support for unit test analysis on devices that run on the Android and Wind River platforms.
- Clang compiler support: The Coverity platform now supports the Clang compiler, which is rapidly growing in popularity for mobile and web application development, and is commonly used in Objective-C and C/C++ software development.
"The risks associated with poor software quality and security have never been greater, and the need for development testing in this world of Agile and continuous software delivery is business-critical to reducing this risk," said Anthony Bettencourt, chairman and chief executive officer at Coverity. "Our mission is to empower the 11 million professional software developers in the world to create better software, and deliver more value to customers, every day. We applaud the more than 1,100 Coverity customers and 1,000 open source projects that rely on our platform to help them deliver innovative products to the market, faster for competitive advantage."
"Innovation is at our core as a company, and this release is another significant step forward for the industry," said Andreas Kuehlmann, senior vice president of research and development for Coverity. "When Eric Lippert joined Coverity last year, it was a win for the entire C# development community. Eric has been able to apply his deep expertise of C# built over his 16 year tenure at Microsoft, part of which was as a principal developer of the C# compiler, to our existing strength and innovations in static analysis technology. The outcome is a world-class C# code analysis product which will help the millions of C# developers worldwide write better quality software from the start."
"As software continues to drive innovation and competitive advantage, organizations must integrate testing earlier in the development process to help ensure high quality and the security of their source code. And with increasing deployment complexity across mobile, cloud and social platforms and pressure for quick release cycles, it's more important than ever that teams have visibility into risk and use that intelligence to focus and prioritize their testing efforts," said Melinda Ballou program director for IDC's Application Lifecycle Management and Executive Strategies service. "Features such as those offered by Coverity 7, including expanded Java and C# testing capabilities and broad programming language support, can help development teams release better quality software faster and more efficiently."
- Read our Development Testing blog
- Watch our video interview with Eric Lippert regarding The Difference Between Coverity and FxCop Analysis
- Register for our webinar: Top 5 Things That Every C# Developer Needs to Know
Coverity, Inc., (www.coverity.com), the leader in development testing, is the trusted standard for companies that need to protect their brands and bottom lines from software failures. More than 1,100 Coverity customers use Coverity's development testing platform to automatically test source code for software defects that could lead to product crashes, unexpected behavior, security breaches, or catastrophic failure. Coverity is a privately held company headquartered in San Francisco. Coverity is funded by Foundation Capital and Benchmark Capital. Follow us on Twitter or check out our blog.
Coverity is a registered trademark of Coverity, Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Coverity, Inc.