CULVER CITY, Calif., Aug. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Crackle announced today that its award-winning free mobile app is now available for Windows Phones and Barnes & Noble's NOOK Tablet devices. The app will also soon be released on the Amazon Kindle Fire. The Crackle App, which offers users a free experience that features ad-supported, full-length and unedited Hollywood films, television series and original series, has been downloaded more than 11 million times since its launch in Spring 2011.
Crackle has also re-launched the app across all of its existing mobile platforms with an upgraded user experience based on collective feedback from its 11 million plus users.
"The interest that the Crackle App has received across mobile entities is hugely exciting and we are thrilled that users are choosing Crackle as the destination to watch feature films and television series all for free," said Phil Lynch, senior vice president, digital networks & games, Sony Pictures Television. "The new and improved Crackle App will further our mission to provide unique, curated content to our existing fan base as well as new audiences through additional platforms."
Most recently the app garnered honors from the 16th Annual Webby Awards for Best Entertainment (Handheld Devices) and Best Use of Mobile Video.
Since its launch, the Crackle app has garnered top rankings on the iPhone, iPad and iPod, as well as Sony and other manufacturers' Android phones and tablets. Today's announcement continues a series of major content expansions and product launches for the brand, including Crackle's launch on the Xbox LIVE service in late January 2012—which has generated millions of online hours viewed by Xbox 360 users. Launches in 2011 included Sony Internet TV, Roku streaming players, Sony Blu-ray players and Sony Streaming Player, BRAVIA televisions, PlayStation 3 game consoles, Google TV and Google Chrome.
Providing high-quality video streaming, the Crackle App offers users a unique, free experience that includes unlimited viewing of the movies, TV series and Crackle original programming available on Crackle.com. Consumers can easily discover content in the Crackle App by browsing by movies, TV and originals or by genre. Key features of the Crackle App include:
- On demand viewing of hundreds of full-length movies and television series
- Free to view content with minimal commercial interruption
- Access to Crackle's award-winning original series
- Ability to pause viewing, fast forward and resume playback where the user last left off
- Ability to share via Facebook, Twitter and email
- HQ (high-quality) streaming video and ability to watch on 3G/4G or Wi-Fi
- Ability to build and manage 'watchlists' of content for viewing on the app or on www.Crackle.com
- Airplay enabled for iOS devices which enables people to "beam" content from their phone to their Apple TV
New features include:
- Redesigned look, feel, and functionality
- Renewed focus on content along with clearer expiration communication including notification of items in a user's watchlist
- Updated Android video player to utilize HLS streaming
- Optimized graphics for retina display on iOS devices
More than 200 films from studios including Columbia Pictures, TriStar Pictures, Screen Gems, Sony Pictures Classics and more are available to watch for free on the app. In addition the Crackle App offers 1,000 full-length television episodes. All films are delivered uncut and unedited—the way they were meant to be viewed and are continuously refreshed, with new titles added every month. A sampling of the Crackle App's current content offerings in the U.S. includes:
- Pineapple Express
- Saving Silverman
- Big Daddy
- Joe Dirt
- Layer Cake
- Mr. Deeds
- Panic Room
- Stranger Than Fiction
- "Jackie Chan Adventures"
- "Married… With Children"
- Thousands of episodes of the world's most loved Anime series including hit titles such as: "Blood+" and "Kurozuka"
- Two new original series: "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" featuring Jerry Seinfeld and "From the Basement," a music series from Nigel Godrich, the producer of Radiohead.
- Plus over 40 other originals including: "The Unknown" with Dominic Monaghan, "The Ropes," "Issues," "The Bannen Way," "Jailbait," "Backwash," and more…
Crackle, Inc. is a multi-platform next-generation video entertainment network that distributes digital content including original short form series and full-length traditional programming from Sony Pictures' vast library of television series and feature films. Crackle is one of the fastest growing entertainment destinations on the Internet today, offering audiences quality programming in a variety of genres, including comedy, action, sci-fi, horror, music and reality. Crackle reaches an impressive audience through its diverse online and mobile distribution network. Visit Crackle's site at www.crackle.com.
- The Crackle App is available for free from:
- The App Store on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch or at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crackle-movies-tv/id377951542?mt=8.
- Google Play on your Android device or at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gotv.crackle.handset. Recommended for Android 2.2+ with Flash 10.1+.
- NOOK Apps at http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/crackle-movies-and-tv-crackle-inc/1110025457?ean=2940043894717,
- The WindowsPhone Marketplace at http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/99ba2d47-cb3f-4f15-920c-6369904e2f3e.
- Coming soon to the Kindle Fire: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3427287011.
SOURCE Crackle, Inc.