ATLANTA, Oct. 30, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- With National Sandwich Day coming up on November 3, McAlister's Deli® surveyed their youngest guests to learn more about how children prefer to consume their favorite sandwiches. The award winning fast casual chain surveyed more than 300 children between the ages of 5 and 9 and found that their love of sandwiches runs deep; on average, kids are eating four sandwiches per week.
When given a world of options – including cookies, pizza and macaroni & cheese – from which to make their favorite sandwich, kids stuck to the classics with about half selecting turkey as their favorite sandwich and 77% adding cheese as their favorite topping. White bread was also the winner with 61% of kids selecting it, while 35% opted for whole wheat or multi-grain.
To provide kids – and adults alike – a sandwich they truly desire, McAlister's Deli is offering all guests its classic McAlister's Club sandwich for just $4 on November 3, National Sandwich Day. The fan favorite McAlister's Club is stacked thirteen layers high of smoked turkey and Black Forest Ham with bacon, sharp cheddar and Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, McAlister's Honey Mustard and mayo on sliced wheat bread.
While kids may be traditional in their sandwich making, McAlister's also learned:
- Health Matters: Most kids would choose wholesome items to put on their sandwich such as turkey (49%), cheese (77%), lettuce (40%), and tomatoes (29%) rather than less healthy choices like french fries (18%), tater tots (7%) and onion rings (5%)
- Say Yes to Crust: 58% prefer sandwiches with the crust on and 42% like it with the crust off.
- Will Work for Sandwiches: Nearly 60% of kids said they would do their homework and clean their room for their favorite sandwich.
- Keep It Simple: Most kids like their sandwich cut in half (47%), 27% prefer it whole, 17% like it cut in triangles and 9% like it in four squares. No crazy shapes needed!
- Sandwich Purists: More than 70% of respondents agreed that ice cream sandwiches do not count as sandwiches.
"These kids have great taste! While we knew kids loved sandwiches, we are encouraged to learn that they also share a preference for healthy, fresh ingredients!" said Paul Macaluso, president of McAlister's Deli. "We're excited to celebrate National Sandwich Day by offering our loyal fans, kids included, what they want – our handcrafted McAlister's Club Sandwich filled with 13 layers of fresh ingredients at a great price."
This offer is valid for dine-in at participating locations, however a guest can order in-restaurant and take it to go.
For more information on McAlister's Deli and to stay updated on the latest news, please visit McAlistersDeli.com and connect with us on Facebook.com/TeaFreaks and Twitter and Instagram at @McAlistersDeli.
Founded in 1989, McAlister's Deli® is a fast-casual restaurant chain known for its genuine hospitality, sandwiches, spuds, soups, salads, desserts and McAlister's Famous Sweet Tea™. In addition to dine-in and take-out service, McAlister's also offers catering with a selection of sandwich trays, box lunches, desserts, a hot spud bar and more. With numerous industry accolades, the McAlister's brand has more than 400 restaurants in 28 states. The company is headquartered in Atlanta, Ga. For more information, visit www.mcalistersdeli.com, and find McAlister's on social media at www.Facebook.com/TeaFreaks, www.Twitter.com/McAlistersDeli and www.Instagram.com/McAlistersDeli.
CONTACT: Marissa Sharpless, McAlister's Deli
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/crust-please-mcalisters-deli-finds-nearly-60-of-children-prefer-sandwiches-with-the-crust-on-300545481.html
SOURCE McAlister's Deli