AUSTIN, Texas, Nov. 3, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Cyber Monday takes over as the top shopping holiday of the year in popularity, according to a recent online survey conducted by IPSOS Public Affairs on behalf of Offers.com. Over nine in ten (94%) Americans are shopping online, while mobile holiday shopping is up over 43% from 2014 (44% vs. 63% who plan to use their mobile in 2016).
"Consumers realize that fighting the crowds for doorbuster deals isn't worth it anymore. With the convenience of online shopping, shoppers are able to purchase just about anything they can imagine from the comfort of their own home and score the same deals or even better as they would in-store," said Offers.com General Manager Howard Schaffer. "Our data also shows some interesting trends when it comes to shopping both online and on mobile this holiday season."
Top Items Consumers are Buying this Holiday Season
3. Gift Cards
5. Video Games & Equipment
See the top gifts to buy this holiday season.
Top Consumer Brands & Stores
5. Best Buy
Holiday Coupon Usage
89% of those surveyed search for deals or coupons online when holiday shopping
When shopping for the Christmas season, how often do you search online for coupons, deals, coupon codes or sales before making a purchase?
- Every time –17%
- Most of the time – 27%
- Sometimes – 30%
- Rarely – 15%
- Never – 8%
- I do not celebrate the Christmas holiday – 3%
How much do you plan to spend on gifts for friends and family this holiday season?
- Between $1 and $400 – 45%
- Between $401 and $800 – 25%
- Between $801 and $1,200 – 13%
- Over $1,200 – 8%
- I don't plan to spend any money on gifts this holiday season – 9%
Black Friday Shopping Trends
20% more people are planning to shop this Black Friday compared to those who said the same thing last year (55% in 2015 vs 66% in 2016).
- Online– 36%
- In-Store– 36%
- Mobile Device– 11%
- Social Media– 3%
- Not Shopping– 34%
Cyber Monday Shopping Trends
Cyber Monday is the most popular shopping holiday this year with 69% (Up from 54% in 2015) of those surveyed saying they will shop.
- Online– 54%
- In-Store– 12%
- Mobile Device– 14%
- Social Media– 3%
- Not Shopping– 31%
Online Shopping Trends
More than nine in ten (94%) consumers over the age of 18 are making purchases online.
- Over half of those surveyed (57%) make at least one online purchase a month, a trend that has remained consistent from 2015.
- Online shopping (36%) ties with in-store shopping (36%) when it comes to where consumers are planning to shop on Black Friday.
- Cyber Monday is dominated by online shoppers with 54% of those surveyed saying they plan to shop online (versus 12% who say they plan to shop in-store).
Mobile Shopping Trends
Compared to last year's results, consumers are more likely to use their mobile devices when holiday shopping; a trend that is up 12.5% this year and up 43% from 2014.
- This year, 63% of people surveyed plan on using their mobile devices compared to 56% in 2015 and 44% in 2014.
- More than one-third (35%) of Americans will use their mobile phones to look for coupons and deals when holiday shopping, and also to compare products at different stores (34%).
- Another 32% will check out product reviews, while similar proportions further say they will use their phone to actually make purchases (32%).
- Millennials continue to stand out here, being most likely to say that they plan to use their mobile device when shopping this holiday season (86%, ages 18-34 vs. 53%, 35+).
Millennial Marketing Trends
Millennials are found to be more likely to search for deals before making purchases and more likely to be shopping this holiday season.
- Millennials are 2x more likely to shop on Black Friday (85% vs 43%, ages 35+), a trend that is up 7.5% from 2015.
- 86% of millennials will use a mobile device for holiday shopping, up 2.4% from 2015.
- 84% of millennials plan to shop on Cyber Monday versus 62% of their older counterparts.
To find the best coupons, deals and sales, visit the Offers.com 2016 Holiday Savings Centers:
Offers.com is a leading online destination for consumers to save time and money. Each day we serve up the top coupon codes, product deals, and other offers from more than 10,000 stores and brands. Offers.com has about 100,000 of the best offers in 350 categories, including clothing, electronics, household goods, and credit cards. Offers are verified and updated daily by the Offers.com deal experts. The company, founded in 2009, is based in Austin, Texas.
About the Survey
These are some of the findings of an Ipsos poll conducted on behalf of Offers.com from Oct. 6 to Oct. 7, 2016. For the survey, a national sample of 1,007 adults from Ipsos' U.S. online panel was interviewed online, in English. Weighting was then employed to balance demographics and ensure the sample's composition reflects that of the U.S. adult population according to Census data and to provide results intended to approximate the sample universe.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cyber-monday-beats-out-black-friday-as-the-most-popular-shopping-holiday-300356856.html