ROUND ROCK, Texas, June 20, 2017 /PRNewswire/ --
- First combined 2020 Legacy of Good report brings together Dell and EMC corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives toward advancing human progress
- Company increases scale, offers more opportunities to innovate on behalf of people and the planet
- Report underscores Dell's commitment to its supply chain
Dell Inc. reports the first 2020 Legacy of Good update that recognizes key CSR achievements for the combined company following Dell's merger with EMC1. The plan outlines Dell's long-term commitment to society, team members and the environment. As a result of the merger, the company has a broader technology portfolio, more engaged team members and greater resources to address the world's most pressing challenges. The report summarizes the efforts of Fiscal Year 2017 (Feb. 1, 2016 – Jan. 31, 2017).
"Bringing together Dell and EMC in September 2016 gave us an opportunity to reflect on our progress and establish a core set of commitments that represent the best of both companies," said Trisa Thompson, Chief Responsibility Officer at Dell Inc. "We have a newfound energy as we think about the opportunity we have to put our combined portfolio, expertise and resources to good work. It's already encouraging tremendous innovation that will benefit our customers and our world."
The updated plan and goals reflect how Dell and EMC came together with a shared commitment to people and the planet. For example, the combined company has increased its investment in STEM education for underserved youth. To help cultivate an inclusive culture, Dell is extending its flexible work program to legacy EMC team members and offering more employee resource groups, connecting team members who share interests such as gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or background. And as a combined company, Dell achieved part of its American Business Act on Climate Pledge to plant 1 million trees to offset carbon emissions and restore natural habitats around the globe. Lastly, this year's report includes additional goals dedicated to driving transparency, accountability and continuous improvement throughout Dell's global supply chain.
The initial plan was developed during Dell's Fiscal Year 2014 (Feb. 1, 2013 – Jan. 31, 2014). Today's 2020 Legacy of Good update includes original goals, adjusted goals as well as new goals to reflect the opportunities, scale and expertise of our combined organization. Report highlights include:
- Dell has offered expertise and technology for 2.3 million underserved children directly and over 10 million people indirectly through strategic giving programs, reaching 59 percent of Dell's direct impact goal and 84 percent of the indirect goal.
- Since FY14, Dell employees provided over 3.3 million hours of community service in the areas in which they live and work. Dell's goal is to provide 5 million cumulative hours of service by 2020.
- Dell's partnership, funding and technology enables TGen to accelerate and improve treatment plans for cancer patients. By working with Dell, the increased computational and storage capacity has reduced the time it takes to sequence a genome from multiple weeks to just six hours, logging over 1 million computational hours per month.
- Dell offers 14 different employee resource groups (ERGs) to help instill an inclusive culture. As of December 2016, 23 percent of team members are engaged in employee resource groups. Pride, Dell's ERG for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender team members and allies, is one of the fastest-growing ERGs. Much of that growth came through new chapters in Asia and Latin America, locations where identifying as LGBT is not always widely accepted.
- Dell further expanded its flexible work programs to Dell EMC team members, encouraging eligible employees to work where, how and when it is most productive for them. Dell's goal is to increase global participation to 50 percent by 2020.
- Dell continued to be recognized as an Employer of Choice, garnering awards in over 20 countries. In November 2016, Dell launched its first employee survey as a combined company, with positive results: 82 percent of team members said they felt inspired, exceeding the goal of 75 percent.
- Dell exceeded the initial 2020 goal of using 50 million pounds of sustainable materials in its products and adjusted the goal to use 100 million pounds of recycled-content plastic and other sustainable materials.
- Dell began shipping the XPS 13 2-in-1 in packaging made from ocean-bound plastics and made a public commitment to increase annual usage 10x by 2025 as well as open source Dell's supply chain to encourage broad use of ocean plastics by other companies.
- Dell has recovered 1.8 billion pounds of electronics, 88 percent of the way toward its 2020 goal to recycle 2 billion pounds of used electronics by 2020.
- Dell expanded transparency into supply chain operations through the release of the semiannual Social and Environmental Responsibility (SER) Progress Report, which describes supply chain performance on Electronic Industry Citizenship Coalition (EICC) audits and other initiatives.
- Dell also introduced new supply chain sub-goals focused on EICC audits, emissions reporting and water risk mitigation plans to help drive responsible actions amongst suppliers.
- Dell is committed to tracking suppliers' adherence to standards for working hours, human rights, health and safety, and environmental conditions and work together to resolve issues. In FY17, Dell expanded the weekly working hours monitoring program to include more than 190,000 workers across 121 supplier facilities in China and increased direct engagement with workers to help give workers a safe environment to speak up about issues.
- Legacy of Good
- White paper of report alignment
- Social and Environmental Responsibility (SER) Progress Report
- Ocean Plastics
- The Net Positive Project
- Circular Economy
- #Dell releases 2017 #LegacyofGood progress report http://dell.com/2020
- #Dell continues commitment to responsible business, shares 2017 #LegacyofGood Update http://dell.com/2020
About Dell Inc.
Dell Inc., a part of Dell Technologies, provides customers of all sizes – including 98 percent of the Fortune 500 – with a broad, innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud. Dell Inc. comprises Dell client as well as Dell EMC infrastructure offerings that enable organizations to modernize, automate and transform their data center while providing today's workforce and consumers what they need to securely connect, produce, and collaborate from anywhere at any time.
1 This corporate social responsibility report addresses key achievements for Dell Inc., which includes Dell, Dell EMC, RSA and Virtustream. In this press release, we use "Dell" to refer to both Dell Inc. and legacy Dell.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dell-inc-continues-its-commitment-to-communities-people-and-the-environment-through-2020-legacy-of-good-report-300476489.html
SOURCE Dell Inc.