SAN FRANCISCO, Dec. 1, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The Delta Dental Community Care Foundation today announced that it is giving $725,000 to food banks in California. This announcement falls on Giving Tuesday, a global generosity movement that encourages people and organizations to do good, which has deeper resonance amid the challenges presented by COVID-19.
"As a result of the pandemic, food insecurity rates and reliance on food banks are skyrocketing like never before," said Kenzie Ferguson, vice president for foundation and corporate social responsibility for Delta Dental of California and its affiliates. "Fighting food insecurity is not only the right thing to do for our communities during these trying times, but it also aligns with our mission to promote oral health."
Dental caries, or the disease that causes tooth decay, has been linked to food insecurity – a disruption in food intake or eating patterns due to a lack of resources – in numerous studies. Delta Dental of California and its affiliates, through the Foundation, employee support and corporate giving, have strengthened food banks across its enterprise states for years. As the economic crisis caused by the pandemic continues, it became clear it was time to increase that support exponentially.
Food banks receiving grants include:
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank in Los Angeles - $300,000
- San Diego Food Bank in San Diego - $100,000
- Second Harvest Food Bank in San Jose - $50,000
- Central California Food Bank in Fresno - $50,000
- Food Bank of Contra Costa and Solano in Fairfield - $50,000
- Second Harvest Food Bank of San Joaquin and Stanislaus in Manteca - $25,000
- Food for People in Eureka - $25,000
- FoodLink for Tulare County in Exeter - $25,000
- Community Action Agency of Butte County, Inc. in Chico - $25,000
- Merced County Food Bank in Merced - $25,000
- Imperial County Food Bank in Imperial - $25,000
- Food Bank of Southern California in Long Beach - $25,000
Today the Delta Dental Community Care Foundation is announcing $2.5 million in funding to food banks across 15 states and Washington, D.C. This is in addition to $11 million in previously awarded grants in response to COVID-19. Foundation support in 2020 totals nearly $15 million, including more than $5.2 million to nonprofits in California.
About the Delta Dental Community Care Foundation
The Delta Dental Community Care Foundation partners with local communities to increase access to care, support dental education and fund research that advances the oral health field. Since 2011, the Foundation has awarded more than $60 million across 15 states and the District of Columbia. The Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Delta Dental of California and its affiliated companies, including Delta Dental Insurance Company, Delta Dental of Pennsylvania and Delta Dental of New York, Inc.
SOURCE Delta Dental Community Care Foundation