MT. PLEASANT, S.C., Dec. 14, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- TaxTalent, the online career and leadership development community for tax professionals, released the 2018 Diversity in Tax Report to reveal the latest racial and gender data for the tax profession. The data was collected from each of the Big 4 accounting firms, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Key highlights from the 2018 Diversity in Tax Report include:
- The data indicates that diversity is steadily increasing.
- As employees advance to more senior-level roles, the level of racial diversity drastically shrinks. The bottom line? In public accounting, racial diversity significantly decreases at the Partner and Principal levels.
- Although women represent over half the employees at entry to senior staff levels, their numbers diminish by a 54% relative decrease as they advance to the Partner and Principal levels. This finding mirrors the level of gender diversity at the head of tax level in corporate in-house tax departments, based on an analysis of TaxTalent's proprietary database of corporate in-house tax professionals.
- The IRS has steadily attracted the greatest number of women over the last several years, specifically in the roles of tax examiner, tax collector and revenue agent.
- While the minority representation for public accounting firms and government is mostly in-sync, the major outlier is the Black and African-American group. The group represents only 4% in public accounting, but 16% in the government sector.
According to Tony Santiago, President of TaxTalent and TaxSearch, the data sheds light on the recent efforts of employers to promote overall diversity in tax. "Companies should continue to create a culture of inclusion and position themselves as an organization that embraces diversity. The companies who practice this will be employers of choice for minority and female candidates and diversity will only continue to grow," says Santiago.
In addition to the data, the free report offers tips and recommendations for tax professionals and employers to enhance diversity in their tax department. Download the 2018 Diversity in Tax Report.
TaxTalent is the online career and leadership development portal for tax professionals. Membership provides free access to expert coaches, mentors, resources, content and valuable tools, all from a tax perspective. For more information, visit www.TaxTalent.com.