NEW YORK, May 16, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Doctor.com, the leading customer experience platform purpose-built for the healthcare industry, released survey findings that provide a new framework for the patient journey. Doctor.com surveyed more than 1,700 U.S. adults to discover how modern day patients make healthcare choices, and what factors influence their satisfaction and loyalty.
The survey reveals that consumers rely heavily on the web and other digital tools not only when they search for a provider, but at every stage in the patient journey:
- Search: 80% of respondents have used the internet to make a healthcare-related search in the past year.
- Comparison: 67% of respondents over 60+ (or 63% of all respondents) will choose one provider over another because of a strong online presence (i.e. availability of relevant, accurate and compelling information).
- Trust: Nearly 60% of respondents have chosen one provider over another based on a positive online reputation.
- Scheduling: 45% of patients prefer to use digital methods to request an appointment (i.e. online scheduling via a website, app, or email).
- Loyalty: Assuming they're receiving quality care, 82% of respondents ranked customer service as the most important factor influencing their loyalty to a provider.
And, the preference for digital spans generations. More than three-quarters of respondents aged 60 and up have used the internet to make a healthcare-related search in the past year, and 90 percent of patients in this age demographic will choose a new provider after seeing negative online ratings.
"The fact that 81% of patients will read reviews about a provider, even after they've been referred, indicates that we've entered a truly consumerist era of healthcare. Patients depend on online sources of information more so than ever, and are using all of the digital tools available to inform themselves and make healthcare decisions," said Andrei Zimiles, CEO of Doctor.com. "While it is paramount for healthcare organizations to provide quality care, they must also focus on building a strong online presence and a seamless customer journey. It's what today's patients expect."
To see more surprising insights from the survey, download the full report.
Doctor.com is the only complete platform built to help healthcare organizations deliver a better customer experience at every step of the patient journey. The company's industry-leading technology seamlessly integrates provider data warehousing, web-wide listings management, reputation insights, universal online scheduling, and patient communications. All of these services are enhanced by Doctor.com's 50+ integrations with the most prominent healthcare directories, search engines, social media platforms, and EHR/PM systems. As a result, thousands of healthcare organizations, including more than 200 of the country's leading hospitals and health systems and over 20,000 private practices, have been empowered by the platform to enhance their digital presence and credibility, increase patient trust, and grow their business.
To view additional press releases, visit https://www.doctor.com/press.