CLEVELAND, Dec. 9, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion today donated $127,500 in grants to 22 nonprofit organizations in the company's service area that provide shelter or housing assistance for the homeless and others in need. The grants were made through the Dominion Foundation, the company's philanthropic arm.
"Dominion wants to help our friends and neighbors who are encountering hardships during the current recession," said Thomas F. Farrell II, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Dominion. "Housing-related organizations and programs are facing increased demand for their services, while their own budgets are stretched thin. These grants will provide additional resources to help nonprofit organizations assist our communities."
In Ohio, the 22 nonprofit organizations will share in the $127,500. "We are working to help ensure that safe, warm shelter is available to those in need," said Anne Bomar, senior vice president and general manager, Dominion East Ohio. "Organizations like these are making a difference in their clients' quality of life and we are pleased to support their efforts."
Recognizing the growing economic hardships faced by many because of the recession, Dominion has refocused its corporate giving on basic human necessities such as food, shelter and medical care. In the past two years, Dominion has made similar donations to food banks, free health clinics, diversity initiatives, environmental efforts and Dominion's EnergyShare program, which helps people in need to pay heating and cooling bills.
Those non-profit organizations receiving the grants in Ohio include:
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Greater Cleveland
- Transitional Housing, Inc.- Cleveland
- Community Service Alliance for Project Save - Cleveland
- Neighborhood Housing Services of Greater Cleveland
- Domestic Violence Center - Cleveland
- West Side Catholic Center - Cleveland
- New Life Community - Cleveland
- Rebuilding Together Summit County - Akron
- Habitat for Humanity of Summit County, Inc. - Akron
- East Akron Neighborhood Development Corporation - Akron
- Battered Women's Shelter - Akron
- Domestic Violence Project, Inc. - Canton
- Community Building Partnership of Stark County - Canton
- Youngstown Neighborhood Development Corporation
- Interfaith Home Maintenance Services, Inc. - Youngstown
- Beatitude House - Youngstown
- Mercy Unlimited, Inc. - Wapakoneta
- Family Promise - Lima
- EVE, Inc. - Marietta
- Harbor House, A Division of P&FCS of Tuscarawas Valley, Inc. – New Philadelphia
- Samaritan House, Ashtabula Homeless Shelter, Inc. - Ashtabula
- Homesafe, Inc. - Ashtabula
Dominion is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 27,600 megawatts of generation. Dominion operates the nation's largest natural gas storage system and serves retail energy customers in 13 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's website at www.dom.com.
SOURCE Dominion East Ohio