OAKLAND, Calif., May 9, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Join the San Francisco Bay Area's largest bicycling celebration — Bike to Work Day — on Thursday, May 12. With dozens of events happening throughout the region and over 400 Energizer Stations spread across all nine Bay Area counties, there is no reason to miss out on the fun. Presented by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC), 511 and Kaiser Permanente, Bike to Work Day encourages local residents to try commuting on two wheels for the first time and celebrates those who bike to work regularly. Complete event information is available at YouCanBikeThere.com.
Dozens of morning events and evening parties will help the region celebrate. A partial list of Bike Month events is below. Complete information is available at YouCanBikeThere.com/2016/04/get-ready-to-bike-to-work-on-may-12. Additionally, Energizer Stations will be open during morning commute hours and many will reopen for the evening commute ready to greet bicycle commuters with free beverages, snacks, giveaways and encouragement. A full list of stations is available at YouCanBikeThere.com/energizer.
Major Bike to Work Day Events
- 5:30-9:30 a.m. — Morning Bike to Work Day Energizer Stations
- 5:30-9:00 a.m. — Bike to Work Day Super Energizer Station, Golden Gate Bridge Vista Point
- 7:00-9:30 a.m. — Frank Ogawa Plaza Energizer Station, the East Bay's biggest Energizer Station, with a free pancake breakfast, all-day bike valet and a transportation fair.
- 8:00-10:00 a.m. — Bikeways ribbon-cutting ceremonies for Telegraph and Grand Avenues in Oakland and Fulton Street in Berkeley. Details at BikeEastBay.org/RibbonCuttings.
- 8:30 a.m. — Bike to Work Day Press Conference at San Francisco City Hall
- 3:00-6:00 p.m. — Fun-filled afternoon at Soscol Gateway Transit Center (625 Burnell St., Napa) with contests, music and food from Taco Addiction. Details at nvta.ca.gov/bike-work-day-may-12.
- 3:00-7:00 p.m. — Walk Oakland Bike Oakland's Bike Happy Hour at the Half Orange, Fruitvale BART, Oakland
- 4:00-7:00 p.m. — Evening Bike to Work Day Energizer Stations
- 4:00-8:00 p.m. — Capitol Corridor will host an official Bike to Work Day "Cappy Hour," featuring discounted drinks on board all trains in service between 4:00-8:00 p.m. Plus, Train 542 from San José and Train 543 from Sacramento will host the first "in transit" Bike Happy Hour in the Café Car.
- 5:00-7:00 p.m. — Bike Away from Work Bash, San Mateo County, Lutticken's Main & Elm Restaurant, Redwood City. Hosted by Greenbelt Alliance.
- 5:30-8:30 p.m. — Bike Concord's Bike to Work Day Celebration, Todos Santos Plaza, Concord
- 5:30-8:30 p.m. — Bike East Bay's Bike Happy Hour at Berkeley Sports Basement, plus seven other Bike Happy Hours around the East Bay. Details at BikeEastBay.org/BikeHappyHour.
- 6:00-8:00 p.m. — Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition's Bike Away from Work Bash, San José Woman's Club, San José
Check out the events in each county at YouCanBikeThere.com/calendar.
Too far to bike to work? Try combining bicycling and transit. Go to the Bicycling tab at 511.org to learn more about bikes on transit and to plan your bike route with the BikeMapper tool.
In addition to MTC (the transportation planning, financing and coordinating agency for the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area), 511 (the region's traveler information system) and Kaiser Permanente, Bike to Work Day 2016 receives regional support from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), Clear Channel Outdoor, Canary Foundation Challenge and Clif Bar, as well as from many sponsors at the local level. Bike to Work Day's media sponsor is KPIX. The event is made possible through the cooperation of thousands of volunteers, MTC, county congestion management agencies, local jurisdictions and local bicycling coalitions.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dont-miss-bike-to-work-day-on-may-12-300265486.html
SOURCE Metropolitan Transportation Commission