COLUMBUS, Ohio, Oct. 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- DSW Inc. (NYSE: DSW), a leading branded footwear and accessories retailer, announced the results of a new national consumer survey today in celebration of National Shoe Lover Day on Saturday, October 25.
In an October survey of 1,000 adults representing the U.S. general population, DSW explored topics such as what motivates consumers to purchase shoes, how much consumers prefer to spend on shoes, consumers' emotional attachment to shoes, and what types of shoes Americans favor overall.
"In celebration of National Shoe Lover Day on October 25, we asked American consumers how they buy and wear their shoes, since we believe shoes are a direct reflection of our individual personalities," said Kelly Cook, Chief Marketing Officer, DSW Inc. "At DSW, we also understand that it's not just about 'if the shoes fit'; it's about the power of shoes. The results of our latest survey prove that Americans believe their shoes make them feel great—and when they are affordable, it adds to that excitement."
Highlights from the survey results include the following:
- Style For Less: 57% of Americans say they have never spent more than $100 on a pair of shoes. Broken down by gender, half of American men say they haven't crossed the $100 mark (yet, 63% of women have).
- The Lady Likes A Bargain: A quarter of all American women say they prefer to spend $50 or less when hunting for a new pair of shoes.
- Confident and On Trend: Approximately 50% of Americans say they prefer to purchase shoes that make them feel confident and are fashionable.
- A Shoe-In: On a related note, 42% surveyed have deliberately chosen to wear their favorite pair of shoes to a job interview.
- Taller Schmaller: Only 8% of Americans purchase shoes to boost their height.
- Love At First Step: Approximately 1 in 3 Americans say they have met a significant other while wearing their favorite pair of shoes.
- Memories, Memories: Nearly a quarter of Americans have kept a pair of shoes for sentimental reasons; examples include a first pair of baby shoes, shoes they were married in, high-school football shoes to relive their glory days and shoes that stay strictly in the bedroom.
- Hey, Big Spender: Only 2% of American men report they have purchased a pair of shoes for more than $1,000, twice the number of women (1%) who have plunked down more than $1,000 for footwear.
- Just The Two Of Us: If forced to wear one pair of shoes for the rest of their life, 54% of Americans say they would choose to wear flip flops or running shoes, while a quarter would pick comfortable boots.
- Happy Feet: When purchasing a pair of shoes, 80% of Americans say they choose comfort above all else—specifically 83% of men and 78% of women.
To download and utilize an infographic illustrating the survey results, please visit (http://bit.ly/1rlYJ1k).
As an added bonus, DSW is giving 1 in every 25 Shoe Lovers nationwide the chance to win free shoes! Customers who make a purchase in stores or online on October 25 will receive a peel-off card with a chance to win free shoes. Shoe Lovers are also encouraged to snap pictures of their party shoes on social media with the hashtags #ShoeLoverSelfie #Ad that day to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for another chance to win free shoes.
For more information on National Shoe Lover Day on October 25 and how DSW will be celebrating in its stores, visit (http://bit.ly/1vB9rHR).
DSW Inc. is a leading branded footwear and accessories retailer that offers a wide selection of brand name and designer footwear and accessories for women, men, and kids. As of October 23, DSW operates 430 stores in 42 states and operates an e-commerce site, http://www.dsw.com, and a mobile site, http://m.dsw.com. DSW also supplies footwear to 370 leased locations in the United States. DSW offers a free, award-winning loyalty program, DSW Rewards, where customers earn certificates toward future purchases and receive exclusive offers. For store locations and additional information about DSW, visit http://www.dswinc.com. Follow DSW on our blog at http://www.doyouspeakshoelover.com, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/DSW, and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/DSWShoeLovers.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dsw-shares-results-of-new-national-consumer-survey-celebrating-national-shoe-lover-day-on-october-25-141346189.html
SOURCE DSW Inc.