OAKLAND, Calif., April 24, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The East Bay SPCA and several other Bay Area animal shelters will host Chihuahua related events in May to help find these pint-sized dogs loving homes and educate the public about the breed.
East Bay SPCA Executive Director Allison Lindquist says Chihuahuas are the predominant dog breed entering Bay Area animal shelters comprising approximately 40-50 percent of all dogs. Lindquist attributes part of the Chihuahua overpopulation problem to the dog's popularity in movies like "Beverly Hills Chihuahua," "Legally Blonde," and advertisements that prominently feature Chihuahuas.
"All that media exposure, coupled with pictures of celebrities carrying their Chihuahuas, transformed the breed into trendy must-have dogs," Lindquist explains. Lindquist says breeders capitalized on the Chihuahua's popularity and began selling the tiny dogs but they bred too many. Then backyard breeders jumped on board and the number of dogs exceeded public demand.
Lindquist says people often drop Chihuahuas off at animal shelters because the dog turned out to be a bigger responsibility than they thought. "Just because Chihuahuas are small dogs doesn't mean they don't need to be spayed or neutered, visit the veterinarian for health check-ups or attend training classes and be socialized like other dogs," Lindquist says.
Lindquist says the continued downturn in the economy has also been a factor. "Many families with pets continue to struggle financially and we're still seeing a steady stream of Chihuahuas being left at shelters by families that simply can't afford to keep them."
The East Bay SPCA's Second Annual Chihuahua Palooza event includes the following adoption specials, educational activities and veterinary discounts for Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes:
1) Chi-Doption: Adoptions specials on Chihuahua's and Chihuahua mixes. In addition to the regular adoption package, adopted Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes will receive harnesses and leashes to help them start off on the right paw.
2) Palooza Package: 50% off spay or neuter surgery for all Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes throughout the month of May.
3) Petite Pooch Package at the EBSPCA Veterinary Clinic: Includes physical exam, Da2pp/Rabies vaccination and microchip for $60.
4) Small Dog Socials: Community play-time for Chihuahuas and Chihuahua mixes.
5) Educational materials about Chihuahuas at the East Bay SPCA's Oakland and Dublin shelters and Oakland City Center storefront.
Other Bay Area shelters that are offering Chihuahua specials include: Animal Rescue Foundation, Berkeley East Bay Humane Society, Friends of the Alameda Animal Shelter, Hayward Animal Shelter, Marin Humane Society, Oakland Animal Services, Peninsula Humane Society & SPCA, Tri-City Animal Shelter and the San Francisco SPCA.
About East Bay SPCA
The East Bay SPCA (EBSPCA) is a nonprofit organization committed to the welfare of cats and dogs in Alameda and Contra Costa Counties. We strive to eliminate animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation by providing programs and education that support people and companion animals. More information about EBSPCA can be found at www.eastbayspca.org or by calling 510.569.0702.
SOURCE East Bay SPCA