MIAMI, Dec. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Getaroom.com, a leading online discount hotel stay company, announced today eight tips for travelers that want to travel during the 2014 holiday season without breaking the bank or losing their minds. Getaroom.com offers amazing rates for hotels throughout the globe through its call center, online, and via flash sales and special unpublished rates program.
Here are eight expert tips for air travel, car rentals, hotels, and picking the very best winter destination:
1. Thanksgiving is of course a very busy and stressful time for travel. If you don't live too far from your destination, then consider flying or driving early on Thanksgiving today instead of on Wednesday and beat the crowds. If possible, try to extend your return trip to Monday to avoid the rush of Sunday travelers.
2. Fly a smart route. If you are traveling from San Diego to Miami, then avoid layovers in Detroit, Chicago, or Denver. Safer bets would be Houston, Atlanta, or DC. Even if the price difference is $100 or so, it's often not worth dealing with a potential winter weather delay that can stretch into days when there's a blizzard.
3. Travel on Christmas Day is often much cheaper than several days before Christmas. If you have kids that want to spend Christmas morning with close relatives, and then Christmas evening with some farther away, then traveling Christmas Day is a good choice for value and less crowds.
4. Get a ride to the airport. Parking at the airport during the Thanksgiving or Christmas rush can be a nightmare in terms of traffic and prices. Parking garages often put in place holidays pricing increases, so get a lift from a friend or use one of those popular car services.
5. Getaroom.com offers great unpublished rates and flash sales for a variety of warmer weather destinations such as Cancun, Honolulu, Miami, Houston, Palm Springs, and Atlanta with rates as much as 60% off regular rates.
6. Want to enjoy some time at the tables and to enjoy a show? A bargain time of year to visit Las Vegas is in late November and early to mid-December. It's not pool weather, but you can free up your budget for blackjack or fancy dinners because the room rates are incredibly low.
7. Use your AAA card for discounts on car rentals. If your vacation is only four or five days, you might also want to search for weekly rates which can often be less than the shorter rental duration. Stay away from car seat or GPS rentals that are offered with the car, as well as any supplemental insurance.
8. Account for extra time at the airport. Huge crowds at the airport mean you will need to wait in security lines longer, and they also can put you at risk of overbooking situations. If several flights are overbooked, and you miss your original early morning flight, then you might be simply out of luck, as you can't just "hop on the next one." The airlines have limited obligations to assist you if you miss your flight due to your own lateness.
Getaroom.com is your preferred online destination for the very lowest hotel rates this winter. Visit www.getaroom.com for savings of up to 60% off typical rates.
Getaroom.com provides travelers a state-of-the-art lodging website (www.getaroom.com) which offers travelers the lowest hotel rates on the Internet. Clients calling its toll-free call center at 800-HOTELS-8 (800-468-3578) can also receive the benefits of unpublished pricing, with hotel rates typically 10 to 20 percent less than published rates on its site and other internet sites and as much as 50 percent less. There is full disclosure about the property at time of booking including the hotel name and exact location. Getaroom.com offers accommodations at national chain and independent boutique properties in major destinations in the U.S. and Europe.