CHESTER, England, August 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
- Almost 40 per cent of customers don't know how much they pay each year
- Price difference between tariffs can be up to £411
With energy bills continuing to rise, new research from moneysupermarket.com reveals that Brits are unaware of their current usage costs, which could mean that they are paying over the odds for their gas and electricity.
A recent survey of more than 3,000 moneysupermarket.com site users shows that almost 40 per cent of Brits say that they have no idea of the actual total amount they pay each year for energy, despite so many providers increasing their costs markedly year on year. Over 20 per cent of respondents who pay monthly have no idea of the total cost of their bill for the year with a further 16 per cent revealing that they had no idea at all of their energy costs.
Only 38 per cent know exactly how much they pay for their energy usage with a further 24 per cent only having a rough idea.
For most people, gas and electricity costs are the second largest monthly outgoing following a mortgage or rent payment and being unaware of the price you pay for your gas and electricity could mean that you are paying £411 more than you need to with the most expensive tariff coming in at over £1,391 compared to the current cheapest at around £980.
With further statistics showing that, on average, only 17 per cent* of energy customers switch their tariffs each year, the vast majority of bill payers could benefit from knowing which tariff is best for them.
Scott Byrom, utilities manger at moneysupermarket.com said: "With the current spate of price hikes taking the average bill to record highs, customers should be on their game and know exactly how much they are paying in gas and electricity charges each year. The message is simple - for a medium user, if you pay more than £37 for your electricity and more than £51 for your gas per month, then you are potentially paying too much and should be looking to switch to a better tariff.
"Shopping around using a price comparison site for the best value energy product is vital and I urge everyone to check their bills and act quickly as the best priced products are unlikely to be available for long."
Current Cheapest Energy Tariff - npower Sign Online 23 Low User Medium User High User Gas Electricity Gas Electricity Gas Electricity GBP37 GBP27 GBP51 GBP37 GBP68 GBP48
Sourced by http://www.moneysupermarket.com
Notes to Editors:
Do you know how much you're paying for your gas and electricity each year?
- Yes - I know exactly how much I'm paying - 38.2%
- Yes - I know roughly how much I'm paying - 24.4%
- No - I pay monthly but don't know the total cost - 21.5%
- No - I have no idea of the total cost - 15.9%
Total Votes: 3,178
moneysupermarket.com's customer commitment
- No other site compares more prices or products
- We are independent so only find the best deals for you
- The price you see is the price you pay - you don't need to go direct and you won't get a better deal doing so
- Your details are safe with us and we won't sell them to anybody
moneysupermarket.com compares (at 28th July 2011)
- 101 car insurance providers and 77 home insurance providers
- 12 broadband providers and 19 energy providers
- 28 unsecured loan and 5 secured loan providers
- 64 mortgage lenders and 31 credit card providers
- 69 savings providers and 34 current account providers.
- Over 880,000 mobile phone deals
We promise to be clear and impartial
- All the products in our full search results tables are displayed in a completely unbiased manner.
- We don't add fees or commissions on to the prices we compare.
- There may be times when another site compares more companies than us on a particular product, perhaps because of market changes or technical issues. You'll be able to see this and know we are working hard to fix it.
We promise to be trustworthy
- We never use your data to make unwanted sales calls or send you spam.
- We never pass your personal information to third parties unless you give us permission to do so.
- Even if you choose to receive additional information from us, you can opt out at any time.
- We promise to be supportive.
- You can use our community forum to get information and help from other customers.
If you need further help or support, you can contact our sales advisors, customer services agents.
For further information, please contact: