CABOT, Vt., June 4 /PRNewswire/ -- June is National Dairy Month, a time to celebrate the original bovine beverage (and its many dairy descendants) -- and to remind ourselves of milk's oh-so-many nutritional and health benefits. This month, The National Dairy Council and Cabot Creamery Cooperative -- the 91-year-old, Vermont-based makers of the award-winning "world's best cheddar" -- are stressing the message that consuming three daily servings of milk, cheese or yogurt are essential in building stronger bones and healthier bodies.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/cabotcheese/42511/
"This is a very easy month for me to celebrate," said Regan Jones, Registered Dietitian and Cabot's National Nutrition Communications Manager. "Cheese, yogurt and milk are three of my favorite foods and are great additions to almost any recipe. Even better, all three come in lighter varieties, like Cabot's 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar, so even if you're working on your beach body, there's no excuse for skipping healthy dairy products. In fact," Jones added, "dairy products provide nine essential nutrients, like calcium, vitamin D, protein, riboflavin, vitamin B12 and potassium. That's why the National Dairy Council and Cabot recommend we eat three servings of dairy every day."
For more information on the health benefits of Cabot’s products, visit: http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/your_health
Luckily, Cabot makes it easy to enjoy dairy in fun and creative ways, with hundreds of recipes and pairings that can be found on our website. Everything from “Healthy Living” recipes to “Holiday Favorites" to “Family Meals Under $10” can be accessed online at www.cabotcheese.coop/recipes. Plus, Cabot’s recipe page is offering new features, including a free monthly “Cooking with Cabot” eNewsletter, where subscribers receive a new batch of recipes each month; a 5 Day Menu Planner, that will keep the whole family eating healthy; and a Recipe Makeover section, where Cabot “lightens” classic recipes.
To demonstrate how easy (and exciting) it is to eat 3-Every-Day™, Cabot is featuring a healthy menu that's chock full of an entire day's worth of dairy. Start your morning off with our Cabot Cheddar Jalapeno Huevos Rancheros. For lunch, try a Sweet Potato, Pineapple and Cabot Cheddar Salad. And for dinner, fire up the grill for Beer-Marinated Pork Tenderloin with Charred Corn-Cabot Cheddar Relish.
Makes 6 Servings
2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon honey
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup Cabot Sour Cream
1 teaspoon ground cumin
6 corn tortillas
8 ounces Cabot Pepper Jack, grated (about 2 cups)
6 large eggs
1/2 pint alfalfa sprouts
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, onions, cilantro, honey, jalapeno, and lime juice. Season mixture with salt and pepper and set aside. In another bowl, combine sour cream and cumin and set aside.
3. Place one tortilla between two sheets of paper towel and microwave for 15 seconds to soften; Press into large (12-ounce) custard cup or ramekin to form into bowl shape. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
4. Place cups or ramekins with tortillas on baking sheet and sprinkle one sixth of cheese in each. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
5. Meanwhile, poach eggs in pan of simmering water to desired degree of doneness.
6. To serve, place some of sprouts in each tortilla cup; top each with poached egg and spoonfuls of tomato mixture and sour cream.
Calories 320, Total Fat 19g, Saturated Fat 9g, Sodium 440mg, Carbohydrates 20g, Dietary Fiber 2g, Protein 17g, Calcium 300mg
Makes 6 Servings
6 small red or yellow onions
2 medium sweet potatoes (12 ounces)
4-6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
12 cups mixed greens (16 ounces)
Nonfat raspberry salad dressing
1 cup cubed fresh pineapple
6 ounces cooked chicken breast, sliced
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
8 ounces Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar (about 2 cups)
Fresh mint leaves for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Peel onions, then cut lengthwise into 4 to 6 sections, leaving root intact. Cut sweet potatoes into 1- by 3-inch fingers.
3. Spread onions, potatoes and garlic out on baking sheet with sides; drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with red pepper, tossing to combine. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and roast for 30 minutes, or until tender.
4. Uncover and continue roasting until vegetables are well caramelized on outside, turning occasionally, about 20 minutes longer.
5. Toss greens with dressing to taste. Divide among 6 plates and top with roasted vegetables, pineapple and chicken. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Grate cheddar into ribbons on top of each salad and garnish with mint.
Calories 348, Total Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 4g, Sodium 1615mg, Carbohydrates 35g, Dietary Fiber 11g, Protein 29g, Calcium 719mg
Makes 8 Servings
1 (12-ounce) bottle Harpoon Brown Session Ale
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 natural pork tenderloins (about 2 pounds total)
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (or frozen corn kernels, thawed)
1/2 cup finely diced jarred roasted red bell peppers
1/2 cup finely diced Cabot Sharp Cheddar
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
To make pork:
1. In bowl, whisk together marinade ingredients; pour into large plastic zip-close bag and add pork tenderloins, turning to coat. Let marinate in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Remove tenderloins from marinade, shaking off excess. Preheat one side of gas grill or prepare coals on one side of charcoal grill (high heat). When hot, place tenderloins directly over heat, turning 1/4 turn until browned on all 4 sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
3. Transfer tenderloins to indirect portion of grill; close lid of grill or tent with heavy foil or inverted foil roasting pan and continue cooking until only slightly pink in center and 145°F degrees on instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes for juices to settle. Cut tenderloin into thick slices and serve with Charred Corn-Cheddar Relish.
To make relish:
1. Place large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over high heat. When skillet is hot, add corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until corn is nicely browned, about 2 minutes (be prepared for some to pop out of skillet).
2. Transfer corn to bowl. When cool, add remaining ingredients and combine well. Serve spooned on top of sliced pork.
Calories 279, Total Fat 12g, Saturated Fat 3g, Sodium 277mg, Carbohydrates 12g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 27g, Calcium 70mg
ABOUT CABOT CHEESE
Cabot Creamery Cooperative has been in continuous operation in Vermont since 1919, and makes a full line of cheeses, yogurt, sour cream, cottage cheese and butter. Best known as makers of "The World's Best Cheddar," Cabot is owned by 1200 dairy farm families located through New England and upstate New York. For additional information on Cabot Creamery, visit http://www.cabotcheese.coop
1-888-214-9444 or email@example.com
SOURCE Cabot Creamery Cooperative