WAYNE, N.J., May 29, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Entenmann's Bakery, a division of Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU), has partnered with The Salvation Army for National Donut Day, this year celebrated on June 5, 2015. To recognize the holiday, originally founded by The Salvation Army to honor those in military service, Entenmann's will be featuring a new Rich Frosted Patriotic Donut Eight Pack, and a "National Donut Day Free Donuts for a Year" Facebook sweepstakes, all to commemorate the men and women serving, and who have served our country.
"We're honored to be partnering with The Salvation Army for half a decade, and proud to be a part of their efforts to continue helping families around the world, including our veterans and military men and women, by raising funds through our National Donut Day campaign," said Maureen Sticco, Director of Entenmann's Marketing Services.
"As The Army celebrates its 150th global anniversary, we are grateful for loyal partners, like Entenmann's, who have proven to be exceptional in their efforts to support our mission of goodwill. We look forward to making the 2015 National Donut Day an unforgettable occasion," said Colonel Ron Busroe, National Community Relations and Development Secretary for The Salvation Army.
Entenmann's All-American, New Rich Frosted Patriotic Donut:
Entenmann's has created a sweet and iconic treat to celebrate National Donut Day. Introducing … Entenmann's new Rich Frosted Patriotic Donut Eight Pack that combines the classic fan favorite of their Rich Frosted Donut with star-studded, red, white and blue sprinkles. Entenmann's Bakery has a rich history of scrumptious baked goods that date back over a century. This new donut will be joining the Entenmann's donut family; a family that includes the renowned Rich Frosted and Crumb Topped donuts (aka Mr. and Mrs. Rich Frosted) in addition to seasonal favorites like the Lemon, Harvest Pumpkin and Cider Donuts.
The Rich Frosted Patriotic Donut Eight Pack will be hitting the shelves in May just before this year's National Donut Day celebration in June. The Entenmann's "National Donut Day Free Donuts for a Year" Sweepstakes will be printed on-package for the Rich Frosted Patriotic Donuts as well as Entenmann's Rich Frosted and Crumb Donuts Eight Packs.
Entenmann's "National Donut Day Free Donuts for a Year" Facebook Sweepstakes:
In the fifth year of the partnership and in celebration of the historic day, Entenmann's will be awarding lucky fans with "Free Donuts for a Year" as well as other prizes through the sweepstakes link on the Entenmann's Facebook page which started on April 27, 2015. For every consumer (fan or not) that enters the Facebook "National Donut Day Free Donuts for a Year" Sweepstakes, $1 will be donated to The Salvation Army, up to $30,000. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. ET on July 3, 2015. Winners will be randomly selected from all submissions. Official Rules can be found at www.entenmanns.com. No purchase necessary.
National Donut Day's Freshly Baked History:
The holiday, held annually on the first Friday of June, was established by The Salvation Army in 1938 in Chicago to honor the "Donut Lassies", who served these treats to soldiers during World War I, and to help raise needed funds during the Great Depression. The donuts became synonymous with The Salvation Army, as well as the American soldiers who were returning home with the nickname, "doughboys." This significant occasion established the donut as a long-standing symbol of the services The Salvation Army continues to provide. Today, The Salvation Army continues to provide meals, including donuts, and numerous other services to clients who visit Salvation Army programs daily.
National Donut Day Fun Facts:
- National Donut Day commemorates the "donut lassies," female Salvation Army volunteers who provided writing supplies, stamps, clothes-mending and home-cooked meals, and of course, donuts, for soldiers on the front lines.
- With limited resources, these treats were fried, only seven at a time. The Salvation Army's Ensign Margaret Sheldon and Adjutant Helen Purviance cleverly thought of frying donuts in soldiers' helmets. Approximately 250 Salvation Army volunteers provided assistance to American soldiers, in France, starting in 1917 during WWI.
- Now in its 150th anniversary year, The Salvation Army is located in more than 120 countries worldwide. In 2014, nearly 30 million Americans received assistance from The Salvation Army's over 3,500 officers, 60,700 employees and 3.5 million volunteers.
- With donut bakeries in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, Fort Worth, Texas and Montebello, California, Entenmann's produces more than 780 million donuts a year, 15 million donuts a week and more than 100,000 donuts every hour to keep up with the demands of Entenmann's donut lovers nationwide.
- The Rich Frosted Donut has been the #1 Entenmann's Donut since its introduction in 1973.
- Entenmann's produces a wide variety of delicious donuts, donut holes and mini donuts every year with a variety sure to please every taste bud in the house. Varieties include the Rich Frosted, Crumb Topped, Devil's Food, Sprinkled, Powdered, Glazed, Plain, and Seasonal flavors such as Lemon, Pumpkin and Cider.
SOURCE Bimbo Bakeries USA (BBU)