DALLAS, April 25, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The number of Mom entrepreneurs continues to grow as more women start their own businesses, up 54 percent over the past 15 years, however they still receive well under 10 percent of equity financing.(1) The Huggies® MomInspired™ Grant Program – now in its third year – was created to help these "mompreneurs" make their business dreams a reality by providing business counsel and money to fund women-owned startups of new product innovations.
Moms can apply starting today for the 2012 program at www.HuggiesMomInspired.com, and Huggies will award $15,000 grants to up to 12 moms who are hoping to explore and grow their own unique product ideas that makes parents' lives easier. Because the program is designed to help women fund their own businesses, winning moms will receive business advice from Maria Bailey, author, radio and TV personality and founder of BlueSuitMoms.com, as well as support from Kimberly-Clark to promote their ideas.
"We've received more than 900 U.S. applications and almost 1,200 globally over the past two years and interest in the Huggies MomInspired Grant Program continues to grow as more women start their own businesses," said Kelly Stephenson, Huggies senior brand manager. "We look forward to supporting a whole new group of moms and will continue to empower the expanding 'mompreneur' community with this program. Plus, we can't wait to see the innovative ideas this year's applicants have to help nurture the relationship between mothers and their children."
MomInspired Success Stories: From Idea to Reality
This year's grant recipients will join the ranks of 21 other Moms that have been growing their products and businesses, from diaper wipe dispensers to nausea relief bands. Since being awarded a Huggies MomInspired grant in 2010, Allyson Phillips, creator of TILTY™ Cup, an ergonomic toddler drinking cup, has grown sales 200 percent and her product has even been featured in a Got Milk? advertisement. "I had this great idea, but needed a way to make it happen," Phillips said. "The money I received from the Huggies MomInspired Grant Program helped get my business off the ground and the mentorship provided support and direction to help get me where I am today."
2011 winning innovations – created by moms, for parents – include:
- Bobee™: wall-mounted diaper and wipe dispenser for a more organized changing station. The Bobee has been so successful in the U.S. that Canadian market expansion is now in the works.
- Plan2Sleep: online baby sleep coaching program provides an individualized, step-by-step plan to provide support and structure to promote healthier sleep habits for babies.
- DadPack: faux leather sling pack style diaper bag featuring the EZ-Wipe system, a built-in wipe dispensing system for one-handed access to baby wipes.
- Dreemie Preemie Baby Book Pages: a simple way to immediately record and celebrate a premature infant's progress in the hospital and at home.
- Intone: a multifaceted, interactive tool that records healthcare information, differentiates types of infant cries and translates their meanings while providing caregivers with an appropriate response.
- Magnificent Baby: magnetic baby clothing for easy changing. Now in its third year of production, Magnificent Baby has tripled in sales each year!
- MyBirthClass Prenatal DVD & CD: convenient childbirth preparation course featuring prenatal education.
- The ColicCradler: fully adjustable chair and carrier with an automated massager designed to imitate a two-handed "colic-cradle hold."
- Psi Bands®: nausea relief bands to ease pregnancy symptoms in a natural way. The grant has allowed Psi Bands to move from a home-based office to a new corporate office. Psi Bands have national distribution at more than 6,000 retail locations.
Apply Now for the Huggies MomInspired Grant Program
- Who: Mompreneurs – 21 and older – with an original, innovative and viable new product idea to help make life easier for parents; must reside in the United States
- How: Log onto www.HuggiesMomInspired.com and submit application including the idea and business plan
- When: April 25, 2012 through July 31, 2012
- Why: For the chance to receive $15,000 and advice to help make business dreams a reality
For more information about the grant recipients and the program, visit HuggiesMomInspired.com. Grants will be awarded in fall 2012.
Join the Conversation
To stay up to date on the latest Huggies brand and parenting news, follow @Huggies on Twitter and visit www.facebook.com/huggies or www.facebook.com/huggieslatino to become a fan and share tips and stories with other Huggies Moms.
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, nearly a quarter of the world's population trust K-C brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies, Pull-Ups, Kotex and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds the No.1 or No. 2 share position in more than 80 countries. To keep up with the latest K-C news and to learn more about the company's 140-year history of innovation, visit www.kimberly-clark.com.
 2012 "The State of Women-Owned Businesses Report" commissioned by American Express OPEN
Contact: Jamie Wilson
Contact: Joey Mooring