NEW YORK, Nov. 30, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Black Swan Analysis Epiomic™ Epidemiology Series Forecast Report on Sarcopenia in 13 Major Markets
Sarcopenia is defined as the progressive and generalised loss of skeletal muscle as a natural result of the ageing process. Loss of muscle mass tends to start any time after the age of 30, but the accompanying loss of strength increases exponentially with age. Sarcopenia is characterised by atrophy of (predominantly) fast-twitch muscle fibres with accumulation of fat within muscle tissue. It is thought that the Akt pathway, which drives protein turn-over in the muscle, becomes tipped toward net loss of muscle. Higher activation of the Akt pathway and consequently loss of muscle mass with age has been linked with: decrease in testosterone levels, decreased synthetic capacity of muscle ("anabolic resistance"), increased insulin resistance, decreased IGF-1 levels.
Patients with sarcopenia have an increased risk of adverse outcomes such as physical disability, poorer quality of life, hospitalisation and mortality.
This report provides the current prevalent population for Sarcopenia across 13 Major Markets (USA, France, Canada, Germany, Italy, Spain, Brazil, India, UK, Australia, Japan, Korea and China) split by gender and 5-year age cohort. Along with the current prevalence, the report also contains a disease overview of the risk factors, disease diagnosis and prognosis along with specific variations by geography and ethnicity.
Providing a value-added level of insight from the analysis team at Black Swan, several of the main symptoms and co-morbidities of Sarcopenia have been quantified and presented alongside the overall prevalence figures. These sub-populations within the main disease are also included at a country level across the 10-year forecast snapshot.
Diseases associated with sarcopenia:
- Type 2 diabetes
- Metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance
This report is built using data and information sourced from the proprietary Epiomic patient segmentation database. To generate accurate patient population estimates, the Epiomic database utilises a combination of several world class sources that deliver the most up to date information from patient registries, clinical trials and epidemiology studies. All of the sources used to generate the data and analysis have been identified in the report.
Reason to buy
- Able to quantify patient populations in global Sarcopenia's market to target the development of future products, pricing strategies and launch plans.
- Gain further insight into the prevalence of the subdivided types of Sarcopenia and identify patient segments with high potential.
- Delivery of more accurate information for clinical trials in study sizing and realistic patient recruitment for various countries.
- Provide a level of understanding on the impact from specific co-morbid conditions on Sarcopenia's prevalent population.
- Identify sub-populations within Sarcopenia which require treatment.
- Gain an understanding of the specific markets that have the largest number of Sarcopenia patients.
Read the full report: http://www.reportlinker.com/p04190616-summary/view-report.html
ReportLinker is an award-winning market research solution. Reportlinker finds and organizes the latest industry data so you get all the market research you need - instantly, in one place.
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001