REDWOOD CITY, Calif. and WARSAW, Poland, Nov. 7, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced the development of a new data center in Warsaw, opening in Q1 2020. Known as WA3, the new International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center will offer state-of-the-art colocation, as well as a host of advanced interconnection services. By bringing this capacity to market, Equinix is helping Polish businesses to advance their business digitization and cloud transformation initiatives, as well as enabling global businesses to expand their digital operations in Poland.
Today's organizations are working hard to transform the way they create value in a digital world. Digital disruption is causing IP traffic to explode worldwide, accelerating the need for connectivity. Companies can extend network infrastructure to the edge and enhance workload performance by shortening the distance between digital services and users. By providing this increased capacity in Warsaw, Equinix will expand its role in advancing the digital economy, in which businesses are demanding increasing levels of interconnection to accelerate business performance.
Highlights / Key Facts
- With a greater metropolitan area of 3.1 million people, Warsaw is: the eighth most populous capital city in the European Union; Eastern Europe's second largest economy; and a significant center of research and development, business process outsourcing and information technology outsourcing for international companies.
- The new investment in WA3 is one of many new builds in Equinix's growing global platform—Platform Equinix®—which consists of more than 200 data centers and enables connectivity to customers and partners across digital supply chains.
- Equinix's Warsaw data centers offer dense concentrations of telecommunications, cloud and IT services, and financial services companies. Equinix has over 350 customers in Warsaw today with more than 190 network service providers, and over 60 cloud service providers. This rich business ecosystem provides the opportunity for businesses to directly connect with one another in a secure environment with increased performance.
- The first phase of WA3 will add 475 cabinets and more than 1,400m2 (15,200 ft.2) of colocation data center space. The WA3 data center will incorporate many of the latest standards in building innovation. For example, the facility will include a mist system for fire suppression.
- Equinix is helping Polish businesses to advance their business digitization and cloud
transformation. With the WA3 IBX, Polish businesses will have the ability to leverage other Equinix solutions including Equinix Cloud Exchange Fabric™ (ECX Fabric™) and Equinix SmartKey® for security key encryption. WA3 will also offer access to Equinix's Internet Exchange (formerly PLIX) which enables network operators, including ISPs and content providers, to easily and effectively exchange network traffic with over 180 peers.
- Equinix previously announced that it will invest US$45 million over the next five years in a Product Development Center in Warsaw to design advanced, customer-inspired, software-defined networking products; develop virtual IT infrastructure capabilities; and perform data science-backed IT infrastructure research aimed at accelerating global digital business. The PDC in Warsaw is one of three Equinix innovation locations of its kind globally, in addition to Singapore and Silicon Valley.
- Penny Jones, Research Director — MTDC & Managed Services Multi-Tenant Datacenter, 451 Research:
"The Polish market has recently seen local enterprises and service providers turning more frequently to colocation services as they realize that maintaining mission-critical facilities is a complex and costly endeavor. This additional investment in Warsaw shows Equinix's commitment to its clientele to support growing demand for interconnected data centers to help enterprises expand their digital edge."
- Robert Busz, Managing Director, Equinix Poland:
"For our Polish customers and indeed the market generally, data sovereignty is both topical and a big concern for local organizations. WA3 will be a big milestone and aid in further establishing cloud data sovereignty in Poland. Through our interconnection platform, large footprint in WA3 and via ECX Fabric, we can offer a perfect local ecosystem for global cloud service providers."
- Equinix and GIC Agree to Form Joint Venture to Develop and Operate Hyperscale Data Centers in Europe [press release]
- Europe Regulation and the Cloud [white paper]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world's leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centers. On this global platform for digital business, companies come together across more than 50 markets on five continents to reach everywhere, interconnect everyone and integrate everything they need to create their digital futures. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix's recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
SOURCE Equinix, Inc.