LUGANO, Switzerland and COPENHAGEN, Denmark, June 13, 2016 /PRNewswire/ --
ESMO 2016 Congress
Bella Center, Copenhagen, Denmark
7-11 October 2016
"Learning about the latest advances, discussing the clinical challenges and opportunities for today's oncologists and learning from each other to achieve a common goal - finding the best outcomes for cancer patients. You can find all this at the ESMO 2016 Congress."
Fortunato Ciardiello, ESMO President and ESMO 2016 Congress President
Nearly 2,900 abstracts were submitted for inclusion within the ESMO 2016 Congress, marking a 70% increase over the past six years and confirming the ESMO Congress as the leading oncology event in Europe.
With USA, Italy, Spain, France and Japan being the top five submitters, the ESMO 2016 Congress will be a truly international convention at which to learn about the latest advances in cancer, discuss clinical challenges and share best practices in order to improve patient treatment and care.
More than 19,000 participants from 130 countries worldwide are expected in Copenhagen, from professionals representing various oncology disciplines to healthcare policy makers, and from patient advocates and pharmaceutical companies to international media.
Congress programme highlights:
- 80 late-breaking abstracts submitted, with top submissions in colorectal and gastrointestinal cancers, non-small-cell lung cancer, genito-urinary tumours and immunotherapy.
- Keynote lectures: these must-attend sessions will give delegates the full picture regarding the evolution of cancer research and patient care, reaching beyond individual disease types to offer thought-provoking interdisciplinary discussion including:
- "The development of checkpoint inhibitors" by Jim Allison, Saturday, 8 October, 13:00
- "The art of the possible: Bridging the gap between genomics and patient care?" by Emile Voest, Sunday, 9 October, 13:00
- "The patient journey: Is cancer cure around the corner?", by Jean-Charles Soria, Monday, 10 October, 13:00
- Onco-immunology: a fully dedicated track with more than 100 abstracts submitted, including hands-on educational sessions for practitioners, with a focus on patient selection and side-effect management.
- Record number of abstracts submitted under the Biomarkers topic, highlighting the importance of patient selection in treatment efficacy from the early phases of drug development to the bedside.
- Spotlight on resistance to therapy, the use of mouse models to help develop better targeted therapies and adapting clinical trials to tumour biology.
- The latest on BRCA testing in ovarian cancer and triple-negative breast cancer.
- Challenges and promises in the treatment of tumours of the central nervous system.
- How to provide patients with precision medicine in the clinic - interdisciplinary patient cases to translate theory into reality.
- A "Drugs you will be using in 2020" special symposium to share a vision of what to expect in the years ahead.
- Cancer prevention and screening including evidence-based prevention approaches.
- Public policy: sessions focusing on the most important public policy issues including the equitable delivery of anti-cancer drugs, the registration and use of Big Data and individual molecular profiles, and different approaches to qualify clinical benefit in oncology.
The full ESMO 2016 Congress programme is available at http://www.esmo.org/Conferences/ESMO-2016-Congress/Programme
ESMO welcomes media interested in obtaining information and reporting on cancer issues. Registration is free to bona fide journalists on presentation of a letter of assignment and a valid press card.
Media representatives are required to observe and abide by the ESMO 2016 Media Policy
To register for the event, please fill out the Complimentary Media Registration Form
Media registration in advance is strongly recommended (deadline: Thursday, 29 September 2016).
A fully equipped ESMO Press Centre will be available to registered journalists, including a press room with technical facilities (computers, wi-fi internet, telephones, photocopier, etc.), interview rooms and storage cabinets. On-site staff will be ready to assist and facilitate one-on-one interviews with researchers and key opinion leaders throughout the Congress.
ESMO Press Programme
The official ESMO 2016 Press Programme is being developed and will be confirmed after review and acceptance of submitted abstracts. Details will be progressively uploaded at http://www.esmo.org/Conferences/ESMO-2016-Congress/Press-Media
Meeting venue and accommodation
The ESMO 2016 Congress will take place at the Bella Center Copenhagen, in the heart of Ørestad with its own Metro station (M1). Bella Center Copenhagen is conveniently located for both Copenhagen Airport (six kilometres) and Copenhagen city centre (eight kilometres). Further information can be found here: http://www.bellacentercopenhagen.dk/en-GB/Location/Transport.aspx
BELLA CENTER COPENHAGEN
Center Boulevard 5
DK - 2300 Copenhagen S
As Copenhagen is a highly popular tourist destination, we advise you to book your hotel accommodation as soon as possible: http://www.esmo.org/Conferences/ESMO-2016-Congress/Travel-Accommodation
We look forward to welcoming you to Copenhagen!
The ESMO Press Office Team
Tel: +41 (0)91 973 19 04
SOURCE European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO)