BELLEVUE, Wash., June 16, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE) today released data about gender pay parity, women representation, and ongoing efforts to increase the representation of women in leadership within the Expedia, Inc. family of brands. On average, pay at Expedia, Inc. is equal between men and women, meaning that women earn $1 for every $1 paid to men in equivalent roles. While this data is encouraging, the company believes that there is more work to be done to achieve gender representation parity, especially at senior levels.
Expedia has been conducting internal analysis of gender representation throughout the organization as well as pay data over the past several years to determine if parity or disparity existed.1 The analysis showed:
- Women and men in equivalent roles at Expedia, Inc. are paid the same.
- Overall, 51 percent of Expedia, Inc. employees in the U.S. are women (52 percent worldwide), versus 47 percent of the U.S. workforce in general.
- Women now hold 33 percent of Expedia's leadership positions, where leadership is defined as executive-, senior- and manager-level positions.
- In 2015, 32 percent of all leadership hires were women compared with 29 percent in 2014.
- While pay parity at the same level, location and position is necessary, it is not sufficient in creating true gender parity.
"At Expedia, women make up more than half of the workforce worldwide and are paid equally to men," said Dara Khosrowshahi, president and chief executive officer, Expedia, Inc. "While we compare well with many of our technology peers, we have a long way to go in bringing more female representation into leadership roles. We need to attract, hire, engage and promote talent of all kinds all around the world, and we believe that by enriching the diversity of our work force across all dimensions, including gender, we achieve the most enriched outcomes."
A recent article by Statista ('The State of Women in Tech') showed that many major tech companies have less than 30 percent of women in leadership roles, with more than half below the U.S. average of 25 percent. With one third of Expedia leadership roles being held by women, Expedia rises to the top of the American tech industry. Expedia continues to be committed to expanding its efforts and implementing supportive platforms for retaining and building women's careers at all levels.
About Expedia, Inc.
Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE) is the world's largest online travel company, with an extensive brand portfolio that includes leading online travel brands, such as:
- Expedia.com®, a leading full service online travel company with localized sites in 33 countries
- Hotels.com®, a preeminent global lodging expert operating in more than 65 countries and 35 languages with its award winning Hotels.com® Rewards loyalty program
- Orbitz Worldwide, a global travel portfolio including Orbitz, ebookers and CheapTickets brands, and business-to-business offerings including Orbitz Partner Network and Orbitz for Business
- Expedia® Affiliate Network (EAN), a global B2B business that powers the hotel business of leading airlines, top consumer brands, online travel agencies and thousands of other partners through its API and template solutions
- trivago®, a leading online hotel search with sites in 55 countries worldwide
- HomeAway®, a global online marketplace for the vacation rental industry, which also includes the VRBO, VacationRentals.com and BedandBreakfast.com brands, among others
- Egencia®, a leading corporate travel management company
- Travelocity®, a pioneer in online travel and a leading online travel brand in the US and Canada
- Hotwire®, a leading discount travel site that offers Hot Rate® Hotels, Hot Rate® Cars and Hot Rate® Airfares, as well as vacation packages
- Expedia® Media Solutions, the advertising sales division of Expedia, Inc. that builds media partnerships and enables brand advertisers to target a highly-qualified audience of travel consumers
- Wotif Group, a leading portfolio of travel brands including Wotif.com®, Wotif.co.nz, lastminute.com.au®, lastminute.co.nz and travel.com.au®
- Classic Vacations®, a top luxury travel specialist
- CarRentals.com™, a premier online car rental booking company with localized sites in 13 countries
- Expedia Local Expert®, a provider of online and in-market concierge services, activities, experiences and ground transportation in hundreds of destinations worldwide
- Venere.com™, an online hotel reservation specialist in Europe
- Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, a provider of exceptional value and expert advice for travelers booking cruises and vacations through its network of over 220 retail travel agency franchises across North America
Trademarks and logos are the property of their respective owners. © 2016 Expedia, Inc. All rights reserved. CST: 2029030-50
1 The compensation analysis included all components of compensation, including base salary, bonus and stock-based compensation and considered other relevant factors such as position grade, tenure and geographic location.
SOURCE Expedia, Inc.