17 Mar, 2021, 07:05 ET
SAN JOSE, Calif., March 17, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Extreme Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: EXTR), a cloud-driven networking company, today announced that Novant Health, a four-state integrated network of physician clinics, outpatient centers, and hospitals headquartered in North Carolina, used Extreme's cloud-managed Wi-Fi solutions to power a COVID-19 mass vaccination event at the Spectrum Center in Charlotte, N.C. Healthcare providers were able to simultaneously administer vaccines to 120 patients at a time, with 2,220+ vaccines being administered on February 13, 2021. A typical clinic administers approximately 500 vaccines per day.
Novant Health deployed ExtremeWireless™ cloud-managed Wi-Fi 6 access points (APs) in less than one hour to support its vaccine stations. The resulting secure, high-speed wireless network enabled healthcare workers to quickly access patient records and deliver vaccines. Thanks to the simplicity of the AP deployment, Novant Health's team can more easily move its vaccination efforts to different locations and events.
- Quick and easy network deployment: The mass vaccination site took up about half of Spectrum Center's arena, requiring an additional layer of coverage to ensure a reliable, high-speed connection. Though the space is large, the Novant Health team was able to deploy 19 ExtremeWireless APs in one hour. With APs mounted to wheeled carts that can be plugged in anywhere, the APs were easily moved throughout the arena.
- Effortless cloud management: All APs deployed for the mass vaccination are cloud-enabled, making the deployment process easier and much faster than deploying a traditional network. The APs were connected to the existing Spectrum Center infrastructure via a virtual LAN, linking APs back to Novant Health's cloud managed network and allowing the Novant Health team to securely access and update patient records.
- Secure, high-speed connectivity: Secure Wi-Fi coverage is required for any mass vaccination event, as patient records need to be accessed and updated onsite as vaccines are administered. With Extreme's ISO 27001 certified APs connected back to Novant Health's electronic medical record system, healthcare staff were able to load and update patient records without latency, allowing them to process thousands of patients during a single mass vaccination event.
Rob Hale, Sr. Manager Technical Engineering, Novant Health
"The pandemic has forced organizations to be flexible and get creative with technology. Extreme Networks' cloud-managed solutions simplified what we were trying to accomplish and provided the security, flexibility, and seamless connectivity we needed to make this mass vaccination possible. We plan to continue hosting vaccination events and know that thanks to Extreme's technology, our Wi-Fi network will not be a concern."
Doug McDonald, Director of Healthcare Technology, Office of the CTO, Extreme Networks
"Vaccines are our most effective tool for combatting COVID-19, and organizations like Novant Health are working tirelessly to administer as many vaccines as they can in a short time frame. The challenges of working through a pandemic are enormous; the technology that supports healthcare workers should simplify complexity and reduce stress, not add to it. Extreme is proud to provide secure, flexible networking technology that healthcare organizations can rely on during this crisis."
- Extreme Networks Powers Mass Vaccination Event with Novant Health Infographic
- Extreme Healthcare Solutions Page
- Wi-Fi 6 for Dummies Ebook
About Extreme Networks
Extreme Networks, Inc. (EXTR) creates effortless networking experiences that enable all of us to advance. We push the boundaries of technology leveraging the powers of machine learning, artificial intelligence, analytics, and automation. Over 50,000 customers globally trust our end-to-end, cloud-driven networking solutions and rely on our top-rated services and support to accelerate their digital transformation efforts and deliver progress like never before. For more information, visit Extreme's website at https://www.extremenetworks.com/ or follow us on LinkedIn, YouTube, Twitter, or Facebook.
Extreme Networks, the Extreme Networks logo, and ExtremeWireless are trademarks or registered trademarks of Extreme Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other trademarks shown herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Extreme Networks, Inc.
Share this article