PORTLAND, Maine, Jan. 26, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- FairPoint Communications, Inc., a leading communications provider, today assured northern New England communities that it has resources, operations and support personnel at the ready across Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine to respond to the winter storm expected to hit tonight and carry on through Wednesday.
FairPoint's network is backed up by generators and batteries to help minimize network outages, but FairPoint's emergency planning team is also positioning crews and supplies – poles, cable and other equipment – for rapid deployment should they be needed.
"Our workforce is ready for this storm, however, we appreciate our customers' patience during the storm and any resulting recovery efforts as our employees focus on safety, especially as road conditions and visibility worsen," said spokeswoman Angelynne Beaudry.
Cordless phones and all modems will not work if the electric power goes out, absent battery back-up.
"People should plan for the possibility of power interruptions and use their plug-in corded phone to stay connected with friends and family or call for help if the need arises," Beaudry said.
FairPoint recommends the following:
- Locate a traditional landline phone – corded, not cordless. Landline telephone service works even during a loss of commercial power, keeping you connected to family, friends and emergency personnel. Cordless phones do not work during a power outage.
- Keep your FairPoint phone book handy in case you can't access phone numbers electronically.
- Fully charge your cell phone.
- DO NOT TOUCH or move downed phone or power lines, or anything in contact with those lines. You cannot tell whether a line is electrified or not.
- If you lose service, please use the following methods to contact us:
- Telephone Repair: 1-866-984-1611 or via our online form available on www.FairPoint.com or on our customer portal at www.MyFairPoint.com.
- Internet Repair: 1-800-240-5019 or chat with us online. A link to our live chat functionality is available on www.FairPoint.com or on our customer portal at www.MyFairPoint.com.
About FairPoint Communications, Inc.
FairPoint Communications, Inc. (Nasdaq: FRP) provides advanced data, voice and video technologies to single and multi-site businesses, public and private institutions, consumers, wireless companies, and wholesale re-sellers in 17 states. Leveraging an owned, fiber-core Ethernet network — including more than 16,000 route miles of fiber in northern New England — FairPoint has the network coverage, scalable bandwidth and transport capacity to support enhanced applications, including the next generation of mobile and cloud-based communications, such as small cell wireless backhaul technology, voice over IP, data center colocation services, managed services and disaster recovery. For more information, visit www.FairPoint.com.
SOURCE FairPoint Communications, Inc.