Famed Urologist Dr. J. Francois Eid Discusses Ideal Candidates for Inflatable Penile Implants and Penile Prostheses

Mar 18, 2011, 16:27 ET from www.UrologicalCare.com

NEW YORK, March 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Medications such as Viagra, Cialis and Levitra typically restore erectile function in about 65 percent of men. "The remaining 35 percent of erectile dysfunction sufferers who do not respond well to oral therapy are ideal candidates for inflatable penile prosthesis implantation," said Dr. J. Francois Eid, director of Advanced Urological Care in New York City.  Other options such as penile injection therapy, external vacuum devices and the urethral suppositories may be effective for some; however, a statistically significant percentage of men have modest successes as well as an extremely high attrition rates with these alternatives.    

(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110318/NY67737LOGO )

Penile implants successfully correct any type organic erectile dysfunction; although, some patients are better candidates for a penile prosthesis than others. "Men having severe erectile dysfunction as a result of post operative prostate cancer surgery or diabetes, for example, are ideal candidates for penile implants because of the permanent and irreversible physical nature of their dysfunction. I prefer to use implants in these patients because of the nerve injury caused by the cancer surgery or obstruction of blood flow as with diabetics," said Dr. Eid, who is also a Clinical Associate Professor of Urology at the Weill-Cornell Medical College.  Vasculogenic causes, which include decreased penile arterial inflow or increased venous outflow, can also be present as a result of elevated cholesterol level, hypertension and tobacco smoking.  

Peyronie's disease is a result of damage to the outer lining of the erectile chamber called the tunica albuginea that results in inelastic fibrous bands, which narrow or tether and deforms the penile shaft during erections. Patients with Peyronie's disease may or may not experience erectile dysfunction, but the issue here is that the partial or full erection curves caused by the penis deviating, creates a J-shaped erection unsuitable for sexual activity. Although the shape of the penile shaft can be altered surgically, this often results in marked foreshortening of the penis.  "Utilizing a penile prosthesis is the only way to simultaneously circumvent the problem of curvature, size reduction and erectile dysfunction from Peyronie's disease," said Dr. Eid.

Dr Eid explains why implants are an ideal choice to treat erectile dysfunction: "Implants are the only permanent solution to erectile dysfunction. They put an end to injections, vacuum pumps or suppositories for each sexual encounter." These options, unfortunately, can serve as a reminder of the permanent nature of the erectile dysfunction. Using penile injections, for example, requires careful planning and preparation and takes away the spontaneity of sex that causes psychological distress for many men. Eventually, erectile dysfunction becomes a dysfunction that defines a man, his "secret," something he can't escape from, because of the constant daily reminders. Only men who suffer from erectile dysfunction know how mentally exhausting the condition is, and an implant is the only way to permanently free a man's mind of worries. "After all, erectile dysfunction is not only about sex, but also represents a loss of a normal bodily function. This function can be fully restored with a penile prosthesis, the optimal choice for a man who wants to enjoy sex and live life to the fullest," said Dr. Eid.

Dr. J. Francois Eid is one of the foremost specialists in urological prosthetic reconstruction and performs over 300 penile implant surgeries per year. He is the leading specialist in the Internal Penile Pump(SM) procedure (IPP), also known as a penile prosthesis or implant. Over the last 20 years, he has performed over 4,000 multi-component inflatable penile prosthesis implant surgeries. He also specializes in other urological devices for the treatment of urinary incontinence such as sphincters and slings.

http://www.urologicalcare.com

SOURCE www.UrologicalCare.com



RELATED LINKS

http://www.urologicalcare.com