Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey® Performers Lead The CureSearch Walk in Washington
WASHINGTON, June 10 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released by CureSearch for Children's Cancer:
WHAT: The CureSearch Walk – Washington to raise funds for children's cancer research
WHEN: Monday, June 21, 2010
5:00-6:30 p.m. Registration
6:30-7:00 p.m. Opening Ceremonies
7:00-8:00 p.m. The CureSearch Walk – Washington
8:00-9:00 p.m. Post-Walk Reception
WHERE: Registration and Opening Ceremonies at The Liaison Hotel
415 New Jersey Avenue Northwest
Metro: Union Station
WHO: Hundreds of children, families, medical professionals and caregivers walk in honor and in memory of children with cancer. The world famous Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey performers will lead the walk.
WHY: June 21-22 is CureSearch for Children's Cancer 10th Annual Reach the Day event, in which families from around the country come to Washington to ask for more federal research funding to help "Reach the Day when every child with cancer is guaranteed a cure." CureSearch is mobilizing individuals, families and corporations across the nation to raise much-needed money for children's cancer research.
- Only research cures children's cancer.
- Cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in children.
- Each year, nearly 13,500 children and adolescents are diagnosed with cancer.
- One out of five children with cancer dies, and three out of five who survive suffer devastating, long-term side effects.
- The collaborative research efforts of the Children's Oncology Group – of which Children's National Medical Center, Georgetown University Hospital, Inova Fairfax Hospital and Walter Reed Army Medical Center are members – have helped to increase the overall cure rate for children's cancers from 10% 40 years ago to 78% today. Our goal is a 100% cure rate.
REGISTER: Register online at www.curesearchwalk.org/dc
$10 per person to register; children under 15 on race day are free.
CONTACT: Sally Charney, CureSearch, 240-235-2205 (work); 301-996-1224 (cell)
ABOUT CURESEARCH FOR CHILDREN'S CANCER
CureSearch for Children's Cancer (www.curesearch.org) funds and supports the lifesaving, collaborative research of the Children's Oncology Group, the world's largest cooperative pediatric cancer research organization, which treats 90% of children with cancer in the United States. By supporting the Children's Oncology Group at more than 230 hospitals in North America and around the world, CureSearch enables children with cancer to receive world-class expertise at a hospital close to home.
SOURCE CureSearch for Children's Cancer