VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., April 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- As the First Lady continues to lead us in a movement to help our children get more physical exercise and eat healthier, Farm Fresh lends a hand and offers moms fresh ideas for high-energy, fun and nutritious snacks for kids. According to the "Let's Move" Campaign almost one in every three children in our nation is overweight or obese and at risk for severe health conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer and asthma.
"To young children the word 'healthy' can sometimes be translated as 'boring' and tasteless. This makes it less likely that kids will choose the healthy options. But, parents, jazz up those snacks and you'll have the kids choosing nutrient-packed snacks every time!" says Farm Fresh's registered dietitian, Jennifer Shea. At Farm Fresh you can find everything you need to do it.
Soon on Farm Fresh's Facebook you'll find a video grocery tour with Jennifer Shea sharing the secrets to filling the cart with the great taste kids want and the nutrients they need. She offers the following ideas:
Turn "Scary" Foods into Delightful Snacks
- Making French fries is easy – try cutting sweet potatoes into thin slices and baking them
- Try a fun spin on spaghetti, with nutrient-packed spaghetti squash! Top the nutrient-filled veggie with baked mozzarella and marinara sauce
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower and top with reduced-fat shredded cheese and serve with a side of salsa for dipping
Make Healthy Snacks a "Grab-and-Go" Convenience
- Low-fat dairy foods, such as string cheese and yogurt, make snacking on-the-go a snap
- Try apple slices in the fridge with peanut butter and raisins or reduced fat cheddar
- Make "dippers" using baby carrots and broccoli trees with yogurt dip
- Have kids put together veggie kabobs using all different kinds of veggies: grape tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms or celery; dip into a salsa or hummus to add extra flavor
Turn Staple Favorites into Nutritious Snacks
- Make your own trail mix with whole-grain cereal, raisins or cranberries, almonds and M&M's
- Make mini pizzas with whole-grain English muffins, tomato sauce and part-skim mozzarella
- Spread whole-grain toast with almond butter and top with sliced bananas
- Place reduced-fat cheddar on a whole-wheat wrap; fold in half and warm in a pan over medium heat or heat in the microwave until cheese melts - serve with salsa
No need to scrap out nutritious foods in kid's snacks. Farm Fresh is committed to promoting healthy living and lifestyles among its shoppers and their families for every meal. For more information on healthy living visit Farm Fresh and join your local team to be more involved in your community's "Let's Move Cities and Towns" movement.
About Farm Fresh Food & Pharmacy
Farm Fresh Food & Pharmacy, part of the nationwide SUPERVALU® INC. (NYSE: SVU) family of grocery stores, operates 43 stores in Hampton Roads, Richmond, Virginia, and Elizabeth City, North Carolina. Farm Fresh also operates a free-standing pharmacy located inside Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters. Formed in 1957 as a neighborhood grocery store with world class service, today, Farm Fresh is recognized as the premier grocer in the Hampton Roads-area. Farm Fresh prides itself on providing its customers with competitively-priced products, clean stores, one-stop shopping services, and a large selection of quality national and regional brands. For more information about Farm Fresh visit: www.farmfreshsupermarkets.com.
SOURCE Farm Fresh