CAMPBELL, Calif., June 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In celebration of Father's Day, a recent national review of homes for sale featuring "man-tastic" man caves revealed video game consoles, pool and poker tables, home theaters, bar stools, mugs and recliners are popular features in today's typical "bro-zone."
The review, conducted this month by Move, Inc., (Nasdaq: MOVE) the leader in online real estate, also shows that while man caves can be sophisticated or throw backs to primal times, most are converted spare spaces such as basements, garages, or an occasional shed, any place where men can gather, entertain and have a devoted leisurely get-away haven built by their imagination and personal tastes.
For fathers or fans of dad, interested in searching for homes with readymade "bro-chillin" enclaves, the following five homes feature notable man caves:
- Austin, TX This man cave is hunting-themed and centered around card playing. Check out the billiard bear playing in the left of this man cave pool room -- http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/le1216a42-m7o.jpg
- Westlake Village, CA A man-cade… that's a man-only arcade. Bros will sure play a mean pinball -- http://p.rdcpix.com/v02/l35153e42-c13o.jpg
- Las Vegas, NV This is a high-end man cave with extensive decor, plush seating, juke box, arcade games and more. This man cave plays to your basic instincts. http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l09985242-c8o.jpg. Diner man cave! Fries come supersized too -- http://p.rdcpix.com/v01/l09985242-c11o.jpg
- Pinehurst, NC A traditional man cave complete with pool table, large TVs and lots of plaid. A more traditional bro-zone. http://p.rdcpix.com/v02/la42d3a42-m5o.jpg
- Orlando, FL A contemporary bro-zone featuring a ping pong and pool table, sound system, darts and fireplace http://p.rdcpix.com/v06/l62e19342-c8x.jpg
In addition, a recent survey(1) conducted by a leading online home improvement marketplace found nearly 40 percent of respondents have their own man cave, while 13 percent are in the planning stages of their amped-up gadget-filled abodes. At the top of the list are hobby rooms and entertainment and sports designs.
"Anything goes when it comes to designing a cave and nothing is too extreme or too simple," said Christian Rohrer, senior director of design for the Move Network. "Bro-zone appeal is not limited to budgets, but rather an individual's imagination. Some men are happy with a simple DJ room, while others have moved away from giant screen televisions into full theater projector screens. It should be a reflection of personality combined with functionality."
A separate review of popular online stores devoted to transforming that lonely space into a 21st century man cave, revealed renovation budgets range anywhere from $50 to $10,000 to upscale an enclave.
Lonny Morgan, owner of themancaveoutletstore.com, serves clients that tend to go for the cool sports gaming equipment. "Pool tables, foosball tables, air hockey and neon signs are amongst the most popular items we sell to those looking for that perfect sports retreat," said Lonny. "This year, we have seen a huge surge in demand for home skee ball machines, and an increase in the number of women who are buying items to furnish their man's cave."
The following easy "manly" steps and "bro-tacal" advice from the experts at Move can help any do-it-yourselfer create a perfect bro-zone lair for the dad in your life this Father's Day:
- HABITAT THEME: Decide the theme of your man cave: sports-centric, cinema-related, gamer-oriented, etc. Once you know the overall mood for your dude lounge you can start deciding what items you will need to fill it.
- GEAR & STUFF: Now that you know the focus of the room, it's time to start outfitting it. Make a list of everything you'll need to make it the perfect place. First focus on items you have, then create a list of what you need to buy. Designate a budget early on so you don't spend the kid's college funds buying vintage pinball machines or the best pool table. You'll need to decide on furniture, and don't forget to have the satellite dish or wireless internet connected.
- BUILD IT & THEY WILL COME: Once all the basics have been covered, it's time to arrange. Go find those old collectible sports posters you're not allowed to hang in the living room and any other manly decor you will need to get the right aesthetic.
- ENJOY: Be bro-active, invite the guys, lock the door, grab some cold ones and enjoy.
For more information on man caves, brocabulary, links to online stores with everything to outfit your man cave, or to view and select your favorite home for sale with a man-tastic man cave, go to:
ABOUT MOVE, INC.
Move, Inc. (NASDAQ: MOVE) is the leader in online real estate with 14.7 million(2) monthly visitors to its online network of websites. Move, Inc. operates: Move.com, a leading destination for information on new homes and rental listings, moving, home and garden and home finance; REALTOR.com®, the official website of the National Association of REALTORS®; Moving.com; SeniorHousingNet; and TOP PRODUCER Systems. Move, Inc. is based in Campbell, California.
This press release may contain forward-looking statements, including information about management's view of Move's future expectations, plans and prospects, within the safe harbor provisions under The Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the results of Move, its subsidiaries, divisions and concepts to be materially different than those expressed or implied in such statements. These risk factors and others are included from time to time in documents Move files with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including but not limited to, its Form 10-Ks, Form 10-Qs and Form 8-Ks. Other unknown or unpredictable factors also could have material adverse effects on Move's future results. The forward-looking statements included in this press release are made only as of the date hereof. Move cannot guarantee future results, levels of activity, performance or achievements. Accordingly, you should not place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. Finally, Move expressly disclaims any intent or obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect subsequent events or circumstances.
(2) comScore Media Metrix, April 2010
SOURCE Move, Inc.