LAS VEGAS, June 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- FAUN TRACKWAY USA, the leading manufacturer of portable roadways and runways, will be showcasing its UAV Landing Mat at the Association of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Systems International's (AUVSI) exhibition in Las Vegas.
The UAV Landing Mat – the first of its kind to be developed – is made of lightweight aluminium matting and provides a temporary smooth landing, regardless of terrain, for any size or weight of UAV.
Launched in autumn 2011, the mat can be deployed rapidly by hand and will prevent foreign object damage (FOD) so valuable UAV assets are protected. Arrestor gear, usually found on aircraft vehicles, can also be fitted to enable aircraft to rapidly decelerate on landing.
Over 40 different countries worldwide use FAUN TRACKWAY's suite of ground surfacing products and the Australian Armed Forces were the first to invest in the UAV Landing Mat with an 800,000 pounds Sterling order in December 2011.
Mike Holdcraft, VP business development at FAUN TRACKWAY USA, said: "As modern air combat and surveillance become increasingly dominated by UAVs, armed forces need to be sure they have the runway infrastructure in place to support operations taking place in remote locations."
"Our new UAV Landing Mat gives armed forces another tool in their armoury for deploying and retrieving drones in a wide range of climates, dramatically increasing their ability to employ UAVs during challenging operations."
FAUN TRACKWAY USA is exhibiting on stand 4913 at AUVSI's unmanned systems exhibition in North America.
Issued on behalf of FAUN by Citypress. Images available upon request.
Notes to Editors:
FAUN TRACKWAY USA is a part of FAUN ZOELLER UK Ltd, a division of the Kirchhoff Group. FAUN ZOELLER is the successor of Laird (Anglesey) Ltd and has been producing military grade aluminium products in North Wales, UK for over 60 years.
FAUN TRACKWAY is used by over 40 different armed forces worldwide and it is a prime contractor to the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD).
FAUN TRACKWAY manufactures:
- Heavy Ground Mobility System (HGMS) can withstand repeated loads of tracked and wheeled vehicles up to 70 tonnes (MLC 70). 50m is laid by two men in less than 6 minutes.
- Medium Ground Mobility System (MGMS) can withstand repeated loads of wheeled vehicles up to 30 tonnes (MLC 30). 32m is laid by 2 men in less than 5 minutes.
- Rapid Runway Repair (RRR) consists of Bomb Damage Repair Mats and Patches that form the landing surface for aircraft. RRR enables flying operations to be quickly resumed after enemy attack. RRR is vital in the Airfield Damage Repair (ADR) process.
- Aircraft Landing Mat (ALM) is an expedient runway in kit form that enables temporary airfields to be constructed quickly and easily.
- Helicopter Landing Mat (HLM) helipad is suitable for a wide variety of rotary aircraft, designed to reduce brownout.
- More information and brochures available at, www.fauntrackway.co.uk
FAUN ZOELLER is also a leading manufacturer of municipal waste collection vehicles, supplying 431 local authorities across the country.
The FAUN group boasts Europe-wide manufacturing expertise, with offices in Germany, France, The Netherlands, Switzerland and Belgium.
SOURCE FAUN TRACKWAY USA