CHICAGO, May 9, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Relativity Media, Smokewood Entertainment, and the cast of Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer, a new film based on the best-selling children's book series, is teaming up with Feeding America, the nation's largest hunger relief organization. The film opens nationwide on June 10.
Judy Moody fans across the country can volunteer in fun, family-friendly activities at their local Feeding America member food bank to help struggling families have a "NOT hungry summer." 50 million Americans, including nearly one in four children, are currently facing hunger.
"This partnership brings Feeding America a brilliant opportunity to show youth the positive impact of volunteer work by using their summer vacations to help the one in four children struggling with hunger," says Vicki Escarra, President and CEO of Feeding America. "We love the parallel between the film's adventurous heroine, Judy Moody, and the idea that children nationwide can help others have a 'not hungry' summer."
Members of the cast, including Jordana Beatty (Judy) and Parris Mosteller (Stink), along with author Megan McDonald, will participate in exciting volunteer activities in conjunction with film screenings in select U.S. cities leading up to the film's opening on June 10. The film also stars Heather Graham and Jaleel White. Relativity is providing screening tickets to current Feeding America volunteers across the country.
During the school year, 21 million children receive free or reduced-price school lunches. But during the summer months, when most school lunch programs close, many of these children are at risk of not receiving adequate nutrition.
"Smokewood Entertainment is committed to philanthropic causes because that is what Judy herself would do," says Producer Sarah Siegel-Magness. "By teaming up with Feeding America, we can truly help kids NOT have a bummer summer."
The four-city tour is designed to encourage young people to develop an interest in taking action against hunger by volunteering at a Feeding America Food Bank or one of the agencies it serves.
- May 9 – Denver, Colorado – The partnership launches with a screening of Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer for Feeding America volunteers.
- May 11 – Denver, Colorado – Volunteer event and photo opportunity with Jordana Beatty and Megan McDonald in coordination with Feeding America network member Food Bank of the Rockies. Jordana and Megan will serve meals to children and sign movie posters.
- May 18 – Chicago, Illinois – Volunteer event with Jordana Beatty, Parris Mosteller, and author Megan McDonald in coordination with Feeding America network member Greater Chicago Food Depository.
- May 19 – Naperville, Illinois – Feeding America and Relativity to host family event with film screening and meet-and-greet with Jordana Beatty and author Megan McDonald. Learn about the issue of hunger in America and how to help. Participants will be able to donate non-perishable goods, get a signed copy of the best-selling book, climb a rock wall, and more.
- May 23 – New York City, New York – Planet Hollywood hosts a costume display presentation and a screening for Feeding America volunteers. The film will be introduced by stars Jordana Beatty and Parris Mosteller. Location for New York volunteer event TBA.
- Date for LA event TBA.
- June 10 - Judy Moody and the NOT Bummer Summer opens nationwide.
Judy Moody books are written by Megan McDonald, illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds, and published by Candlewick Press.
ABOUT FEEDING AMERICA
Feeding America provides low-income individuals and families with the fuel to survive and even thrive. As the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity, our network members supply food to more than 37 million Americans each year, including 14 million children and 3 million seniors. Serving the entire United States, more than 200 member food banks support 61,000 agencies that address hunger in all of its forms. For more information on how you can fight hunger in your community and across the country, visit http://www.feedingamerica.org. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/FeedingAmerica or follow our news on Twitter at twitter.com/FeedingAmerica.
Sunshine, Sachs & Associates on behalf of Feeding America
SOURCE Feeding America